Do you think the A3 needs a 6th gear?

dandy

Reaction score
Just interested to see if anyone agrees with me. When I'm on the motorway and I have the car up to approx 80mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif(not too often mind since it is the M6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) I really feel like the car could do with a 6th gear because it certainly still has some juice left in it even at that speed. Now I only drive a 1.6 so I was wondering whether owners of the larger engined A3's felt the lack of a 6th gear even more?

I'm a bit split on this really! I like the idea of a 6th gear as i think it adds to the pleasure when your throwing a car round a windy track/b-road (same thing really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif) but then again not having one allows for the manufacturer to really open up the gearing and not lose time through up-shift! Could be biased though as I only have 5 forward gears!

Difficult one; the S3 has 6th and you lose time on the extra gear change. The A3 1.8T I have been driving the last couple of days could maybe do with 6th for motorway cruising, but it does cope with 5. The only time i would really need 6th is probably 90/100kph and above - otherwise I think I still need the power in 5th to cope with small acceleration change etc.

Some of the diesels do..the loan car I had was a 1.9 diesel with a 6 speed box, I know they need 6 speeds becasueof the narrow power bands....but it was good to drive, be nice to have 6 speed box on the Turbo

On my 1.6, when doing around 70-80mph, the engine revs at around 3500-4000. Gets a bit noisy at times making me double check whether I'm actually in 5th.