Which Oil????

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Well as the search function is down and i cant get a straight answer, can you guys please post what oil you use or what oil you would recommened.

It's either 5w-30 or 5w-40 or even 10w-40, fully syn of course.

Im thinking about getting 5w-40 as my car seems to not really like 5w-30 and seems to like to drink it lol.

As the mileage goes up then weight goes up. If your car drinks 5w then go for 10w. Personally i would stick to Mobil 1 as i know it works well having run it in a Opel Manta for 100k miles and when i stripped it the engine was like new inside. dont bother with long life Oil and changes unless you dont plan to keep the car. Mobil 1 will do 10k miles comfortably, changing it sooner is probably wasting money, leaving it longer is not a problem but you want to change the filter at 10k so false economy not to change the oil IMHO.
HTH

As a foot note i see your after a K&N filter. These oiled filters worked well on carb engines in dusty climates but will do your modern engine no good in the UK. Apart from coating your MAF with a fine film of oil and causing you engine to run weak, they are simply not as good as something like a pipercross dry filter.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. No at all mate, i had one for sale, running standrad setup, its just a tuning myth that k&n's kill MAF's, its people that wash them, then over oil the filter that kills the MAF's.

My last change i used 5/40 fully synth formula excel.
(as we now stock it at work) much better than my previous 5/30 which burned 1/2ltr every 100 miles ish.

Mines the same. Its like a alkaholic on speed with a bottle of vodka, it just goes and goes.

Think it'll be 5w-40 then.

Any preferred brand?

Sorry but i put a brand new K&N on a vr6 a few years back and it killed it in a couple of days !! Just made more and more noise and got slower and slower !! Why take the risk when a dry filter flows better anyway.

Ive know people run s3's and lcr's with k&n and have had no trouble what so ever.
What i have seen is people use a filter for 18 months with no problem, then wash it and re-oil and all of a sudden there maf fails, then its the filters fault even though they've just had 18 months of trouble free running, not thinking its them who killed the maf by drowning the filter.

Dani, i have just had my oil filter and oil changed.....all genuine bits, oh and an air filter..... £50 all in from my mate in Chesterfield ;)

What oil did you have put in tim?

Yeah mine will abit cheaper than that and i wont have togo on a mission either to get there lol.

original long life mate but he would have done either....oil came straight from Audi as i prefer to have the recommended stuff

I bought some Castrol Edge 5w - 30 from Ebay 4Litres for a bargain £34.99 inc free delivery!