Help S3 blue smoke

S3KO4

Reaction score
Ok everyone a sad couple of days for me, I took the car in for MOT thinking it will sail through, everything was well until it came down to emission, I saw some smoke but thought it was just steam since it took 3 hours for my turn and thought that car had cooled down. But on 2500-3000 when the put the probe in it started to smoke filling up the MOT centre, so A BIG RED FAIL... High CO2 level.

I thought ok I might have over filled it with oil, so went away drained some of the oil and gave it some drive, took it back in, was ok until it was idle and 10 minutes later when revved and tested did the same story,

Finally my mechanic said use this "stop smoke" solution into the engine oil, did that took it for a drive then came back all seemed better. Took it to the MOT station was idle again for 30 minutes, when tested was just about ok, passed the emission and what a relief...

Now what is damaged?
Car has done 134K
Been serviced every 4K since 2006
Milltek & Revo

I love the car and wouldn’t want to let her go just yet...

Could it be any of the following?

Piston Ring?
Turbo seal?
Engine oil gator! I don’t even know what it is!
Valves?

I must say the car feel much smother after the stop smoke thing, and the whooshy noise is back from the turbo , that went away for a while.

any help is appreciated.

Used to happen with mine on idle, check all your breather pipes, flush the engine thoroughly and do a good oil and filter change.

It sound like you've been giving it good service intervals so i hope it isn't anything major bud, what oil do you use?

Thanks Sandip, to be honest I thought it could be related to what you are telling me, lost some oil which was 5-30w full synthetic and when I went down to santa pod, and came back it had lost some, so I used a cheap 10-40W semi synthetic to top it up, I might had gone a bit over, and this could have made it worse. but soon I will probabily use 10-40 or 5-40 full synthetic for better hopes.

Last edited:
I used to use Mobil 0w40 and it used to puff blue smoke, especially when its very hot. I changed my breather flushed it and went onto Mobil 10w40.

Even though the viscosity at 100oC is pretty much the same the difference is easily noticable. The engine runs alot quieter and generally feels healthy.
For the sake of £50-£60 theres no harm in a good flush, new filter, new breather and some decent fresh oil. i'm confident that your engine will be fine bud:)