Help Power Loss (Quite Long Post)

ScottyKemp

Reaction score
Evening All,

Got a problem with the power in my S3. Strange one really, sometimes the car will go completely flat and feels like the turbo is not kicking in and it will stay like this for only a couple of minutes then the boost will kick in very strongly again, also get some poping from the exhaust sometimes.

I took it to Audi to have look at and they blamed it on the couple of holes i drilled in the airbox (silly i know but LIKED the noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) saying it is losing turbo boost through there ! I am not a mechanic but how can you lose boost through an airbox ?

I went back in to Audi this evening and got one of the mechanics to run the VAG-COM thing on it, he said it is not boosting properly something about "Boost/Air Flow Suppression"

He said it is likely to be the MAF or A BOOST VALVE sensor, anyone any ideas, did not think the MAF sensor would effect the boost levels, but i am no mechanic !

Also it is going to AMD on friday for a remap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif, would this cause problems for the remap ? If so do you know if AMD keep these parts on the shelf just in case ???????

Typical though, Audi warranty runs out tomorrow and they tell me it has a problem now and but could not find it last week on the AVS service, when i told them about the ruuning problem !

Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott, AmD will run a full diagnostic on your car before the remap mate, they tend not to like remapping cars which are not running properly. I needed a new MAF sensor when I had my remap done, couldn't believe the amount of throttle response I was missing out on!. And yes, they should have all these parts on the shelf, but I'd try to get the stealer to cure the car beforehand, as they obviously know of the fault before your warranty ran out.

It sucks it is going into the bodyshop today so it will have to be AMD on friday sorting it, as it is not back till thursday evening, although i would prefer AMD to look it rather than Audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

I would be tempted to re-arrange the remap to next week or something and get Audi to sort the problem under warranty. IF it is coming out of the bodyshop on Thursday, can you ask them to sort the problem while its there? I guess they may not have enough time...

Tell them that you have a log journey on Friday to see if it gets you in sooner.

Failing this, if you are determined to go to AmD on Friday, I would ring them first to discuss the problem and double-check that they have the parts ready for you.

You will be really P***sed off if they haven't got the parts and can't perform the remap...

Hope this helps
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
ScottyKemp said:
Yeah, just about to ring them ! Strange problem though only very rarely happens !

[/ QUOTE ]

They are the worst!

it will be the air mass meter, can cause no boost and then a real explosion of boost and variable engine ranges. (more power than normal in some cases)

Thanks FoolishUK, sounds like you might be right - So it woould have absolutely nothing to do with a drilled airbox causing boost loss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) ?

That is what Audi said when i took it for a service ! Just out of curiosity what audi dealers do you work at ? Trying to find 1 that don't talk rubbish. You seem to be in the know about lots of stuff on here mate !

Thanks for the advice again

Look out for my car at AmD tomorrow Scotty! You cant miss it although it will be in the workshop!

i work at a dealer in essex, there is no chance that a drilled air box box will loose you boost pressure, the worst it would do is suck in some warm air.