Panel Filters???

TDi? Liberties!
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals...

I am doing a service tomorrow, and having looked at the euro car parts website I have realized that they do a straight swap K&N panel air filter for my car.

Now... My question is:

Do I spend £50 on a K&N... Or should I stick to the £10 Bosch one? Does it really make a difference or is the only benefit being able to recycle it by stiking it in the washing machine???

Thoughts and suggetions welcomed. :)

Stick to the original mate, if you do a quick search, you will see that this has been discussed in depth on many occasions, i believe the stock filter is good for upto 350bhp....so unless you are going over that, then stick with the standard and a bit of extra beer/petrol money in your pocket :)

Thanks matey... Should have known not to believe all the online hype. hand>face!

The search function is currently switched off. ;)

i'd also say the same as nilz, i don think there is any proven evidence that a performance panel filter is better than the original one. you just might have to change the orginal ones more often, but for a tenner who cares. lol

Sounds like good sense... That's 5 years worth of Bosch filters. lol

I am not techical in the slightest when i comes to this, but will having something like a K&N pannel filter make for more of a sportier sound?

I am not techical in the slightest when i comes to this, but will having something like a K&N pannel filter make for more of a sportier sound?

you may hear a slight change in exhaust note and the dv will be slightly more audiable, thats about it though

you can pretty much get the whoosh sound by grinding the fins out of ya airbox.... conundrum you have is pay £50 for K+N or work out how many paper filters your gonna buy in the cars life span

you can pretty much get the whoosh sound by grinding the fins out of ya airbox.... conundrum you have is pay £50 for K+N or work out how many paper filters your gonna buy in the cars life span

conundrum number two, if you want the 'whoosh' sound do you pay £50 on a filter or spend an hour or so flattening out your airbox? lol

conundrum number two, if you want the 'whoosh' sound do you pay £50 on a filter or spend an hour or so flattening out your airbox? lol

I prefer to save my pennies and buy a bigger turbo for my oil burner. ;-) The whoosh sound is loud as it is in my tdi. I am happiest when I leave cars for dead in what looks like a granny wagon. lol

Now are we all saying that smoothing the airbox gives better air flow? Tomorrow me thinks... Along with the service (Oil/filters/coolant/changing stat/etc...), cleaning EGR & MAF, now also modding the airbox... Whtever next??? This car gets more love from me than my mother. :-/ lol
:rockwoot:

Last edited:
or just turn your DV the opposite way around ;)

if you have a mini grinder the fins will take 10 mins to get out, then smooth over with sandpaper...simples :) altho initially i couldnt be bothered, until i had a day where i just wanted to do something to it

is there any performance gains with smoothing the fins off the air box?

Last edited:
Chris - nothings been proven although i think this coupled with a few other mods like silicone piping would make some difference...although the jury's out as to how much

smoothing out the airbox certainly wont hurt, and as animal said theres no proof of gains, but theres no proof of losses either

if youre bored, do it, doesnt cost you anything then you can make your own mind up if it was worth it or not

js1500, where did you see a green cotton filter for £35, cheapest i seen was £50?

js1500, where did you see a green cotton filter for £35, cheapest i seen was £50?

Hmmm, you've got me wondering now Jonny... I'm sure i've seen Green Cotton for £35 somewhere... I'll have to have a look around!
Will post where if I can find it again!

Johnny.
(A lot of Johnny/Jonnys on here ain't there?!)

I have gone OEM... I decided that the extra pennies would go to this: http://www.jvc.eu/kd-avx44/

TBH... I don't think an aftermarket air filter would make a diffrence to my car being diesel powered. But flushing the old oil out did... She spins in 2nd and 3rd now...

I like the extra sound gained from a green panel filter. The engine is pretty bland sounding standard afterall.