Poor fuel comsumption

S3 ABV

Reaction score
As above i know the S3 isn't the car for fuel but i can't get above 22mpg at all. I have had the car for about 5-6 month, it's been mapped and has a 007p valve thats all, I run the car on super unleaded too?

Obvioulsy the mpg goes higher but everytime i refuel the average mpg is never above 22, i don't tend the rag the car to bits but even on slow driving changing at 2.5 k it doesn't seem to improve lol.

Are they all like this?

Cheers, Kev:yes:

Depends what roads you drive on and how far you go. If your on the motorway every day doing a 40 mile round trip thats a very poor mpg but if your doing a 6 mile round trip on normal 30mph roads in rush hour then that's correct. I average between 23-24mpg normally.

depends what type of driving you do, all short runs means the car never heats up properly and uses more fuel.

22mpg does seem a little on the low side but dont expect much over 27 on the DIS and 25 real world figures unless you are just up and down motorways all your life.

My MPG has been noticeably dropping recently. I think i've got a wee misfire... will have to investigate!
Average MPG on DIS (not the most accurate, I know) settled at 26MPG in October, now at 25.3MPG and dropping...

i get 31mpg average in mine!
and thats mixed between town and country roads!

I quite often see as low as 17 or 18 in traffic on the way to work. Motorways I will usually see the low 30s. Generally the average on the DIS is about 24 for a mixture of the above, plus the odd countryside run.

On a long trip to Austria and filling up with high octane fuel (100 or 102 I think for only 80p a litre!) I got 37 which is by far the best I have seen - a lot to do with ability to hold a constant speed on the empty motorways on the continent.

Recently though my MPG has dropped and I have put that down to the knackered thermostat I just replaced. There are other issues that could be bringing your MPG down, but as above it really depends on what type of journeys you are doing - 22 could be good, bad or normal.

Got you guys get sh*t mpg, i never ever drop below 27mpg, i average around the 30mpg mark, an i dont drive like miss daisy lol.

I've seen as much as 40 albeit stuck behind lorries on country roads,mine goes inbetween 25-33 mpg.
I would recommend resetting it regularly just in case of any underlying problems

just a side note....you have reset the average consumption after filling up haven't you?

Yeah re-set the trip every time i fill up mate. The car get used for around town in the week, dropping the little un at school and picking him up ect...thought 22mpg seemed low, but mabye it's right.

Cheers for the replys, guys.

when was it last serviced? is it on a long or short schedule?

i recently done mine and am seeing a very noticeable rise in mpg, i dont rely on my dis as it doesnt seem to be accurate (dont think it has been calibrated for bigger injectors) but i used to see 220 miles per tank which was a combo of short commute to work (3 miles each way) and stretching her legs on weekends & evenings no m'way miles and i am now seeing 140 miles to the first half a tank so am expecting at least 250 to a full tank

i quickly worked it out thats from 18mpg to 22/23mpg, possibly higher not bad from a £80 service :)

I would expect around 25 ish, but not much more. My average has been as low as 17 MPG at times... but thats normally after a bad week at work.

how about calculating it yourself to check the figure you are getting from DIS?
fill the tank,
zero mileometer,
drive,
next time you fill up note the milage done and how much fuel you use to totally fill the tank again.

1 mile/litre = 4.55 mile/gallon.

I was chuffed as my DIS was always averaging between 30-32 on a daily round trip of 36 miles of town and country roads. However recently did the long division between full tanks and it is 27 mpg driving mainly like a nun. Will do it again to get a more meaningful average, new thermostat and service due so that may help but disappointed all the same.