Lowered without spacers

02audis3

Reaction score
Cars lowered with dampers all round, Is it normal for the rear wheels to sit out at the bottom and in more at the top if you know what i mean

ie. left wheel like /
and right like \ obv not as much but you get what i mean.

how much did you lower it by?

you may need a camber correction kit / 4 wheel alignment

Thanks, think its 40mm, Its not to bad just notice it because i dont have spacers and my wheels sit away in :( need to get spacers asap and new wheels only 17's.

will look into the camber correction kit / 4 wheel alignment when i get 18's on with spacers.

thanks again

Unfortunately this is why it costs so much to lower S3s as the rear tie bars are not adjustable to if you lower your quite a bit you won't be able to correct that negative camber which will eat its way through your tires, the expensive part is buying adjustable rear tie bars which cost around £250. I am in the same position as you running excessive negative camber and need to buy the tie bars.

were do you get this camber correction kit from thanks

so buy tie bars and camber kit to sort this?

Take a photo if you can mate and post it on here because I don't think the correction will be necessary as I've got 18s with 20mm spacers and 35mm lowering springs and it's fine, you want some negative camber.

Negative camber, whilst eating through your tires, normally makes the car stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket!! I used to have a motor in days of old that was slammed, so much so that it used to eat the inside edge to the wear bars and have 5 mm of tread on the outside edge....

Get somewhere to swap the back tires side to side and you get full running out of them!! :)

Will get pics up asap , mates got car for week i have jeep :) ,

i noticed this negative camber when i once loaded my boot & back seats full of fixings i needed to move for work, almost looked likes the wheels were gonna pop off !

I would advise changing the tie even lowering by 25mm tbh... there are tons of threads on here but as the search is currently disabled then its a bit difficult to point in the direction of them

Check out Ess_Three's performance guides in the stickies, he covers suspension thoroughly.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?4595-Star-Performance-Testing-Day-Pt9

S3's have about 1.5 degrees negative camber as std, lowering increases this and lowering at much over 25mm increases this alot... while negative camber is generally a good thing on the front, it will make the back end a bit skittish, add strain to the OEM tie bars which have a habit of snapping and nuke the inside edge of tyres.

Awesome GTI were doing some tie bars quite cheap IIRC, get um bought and get the car 4 wheel aligned. Transforms the S3's handling IMO...

<tuffty/>

As said above, no matter what drop on the S3 it's always best to get adjustable tie bars.

It's not just the negative camber but it's also the strain that lowering puts on the standard bars.

Damian @ DPM Performance

My car, on standard suspension with 15mm spacers, has a fair amount of negative camber at the rear (visually very obvious and certainly more than 1.5 degrees).
Could this have happened if the original suspension is knackered? I'm sure I heard a weird spring-twanging noise recently while reversing off my driveway and the car is acting a little skittish...
Could I have broken a spring or standard tie bar? I did have a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious.

Yeah it's a common thing for the springs at the rear to snap at the bottom.

Water gets in and just sits in the cup that holds the springs and over time just rusts and weakens the bottom pig tail of the spring.

Damian @ DPM Performance