Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    It's all in bits

Status

Wheel bolt removal

I'm trying to get my wheels off, but it would appear someone air gunned them on good last time they were done up. After going out and getting a 2 foot breaker to provide more leverage I have only managed to snap a couple of extensions. I would assume that these bolts must have been over torqued so I'm worried I will end up snapping one.

If anyone has got any tips or can point out something obvious I might not have thought of I'd appreciate it?

2. # ADS
    ADS

thats me

Status
    go to the garage and use a impact gun, you may also shock them by hitting the end of the socket/wrench as you are trying to undo them but a impact wrench is best
    red to red black to black blue to bits

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Impact sockets are tougher if you want to do it at home, they can take more torque. Might just be easier to head to a garage unless you have a puncture of course.

It's all in bits

Status
    I have several missing engine bay components so can't really drive it anywhere without putting it back together which requires a part or two.

I did try hitting the breaker with a rubber mallet, but I think I was just twisting the extension. I'll head out and get the heaviest duty impact sockets I can find that will fit around the bolt. These combined with some more hitting will hopefully do the job or I'll have to put it all back together again.

Whilst searching for a solution I found some interesting articles about the results of over torqued bolts stretching and failing, glad I have some replacements. No idea what I'd have done if I was somewhere with a puncture either - I think it would have ended up costing me a tow.

Cheers

Status
    try soaking them in wd40 and leave them a while then try
    I have had problems in the past with this so I purchased myself a breaker bar...was 30 quid though.

It's all in bits

Status
    An impact socket did the trick although I couln't find a deep one so alloys are now a bit scratched from the end of the breaker bar (the bolts are pretty deeply sunk on the avus) Fortunately this is only on the bit behind the centre cap, plus one of the jobs on my long list is a wheel refurb. Just about to order a deep one with a plastic sheath that protects the alloys ready for next time though.

Thanks for the advice.

Neutral

Status
    i had the same think happen to me on my s3 one of the rear wheel bolts was over over tightend and snapped 3x breaker bars. in the end i bought from the snap on a 1/2 drive bolt remover and did the trick

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    A good tip for the future would be to refit them with some copper grease on the threads of the bolt, and make sure you torque them with a wrench to +/- 110Nm (check in the handbook).
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Ross_S4

Status
    The correct wheel bolt torque setting is 120Nm.
    I find that the cross shaped wheel brace is pretty good for overtightened nuts/bolts. also the oem one with a good stamp downwards usually works pretty well.
    Last edited by rossbrownlee; 24th January 2010 at 23:46.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I was about to say copper grease too. It happened to me too where i'd been to a garage to get new tyres and they'd tightend my wheel soo tight but luckily i have an air gun at home, just took it off with ease when i had to check my brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Smell my finger.

Status
    If the tyre places doesnt torque them up properly then they're muppets. Luckily the place I go to dont just whack them up with the windy gun.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice