S3 Xenons

edgerfs

Reaction score
I'm a bit corncerned my Xeon headlights aren't working correctly... on past cars I've had the xeon's have always been self levelling, you could verify this when you first turn on the car and lights would kinda "come up" and adjust themselves to the correct point on the road ahead. My S3 ones just seem to come on and sit still, without moving, and are in my opinion too low on the road. I am well aware that they should not be high and blind other drivers but It's getting to the point I have to use main beam excessivley ;-(

Can anyone advise if the s3 xeon's are self levelling and do there headlights move about when they first turn them on? I have no warning lights or anything on dash! thanks

Common problem mate, the motors are the problem... basically the fix is a) buy new motors or b) be brave and strip the motors and clean the little pot thingy in them... Loads of posts on here and there is even a tutorial for the stirpping of the m otors...

I did it on mine as I had the same problem...

<tuffty/>

The problem here is that the S3 xenons don't visibly move. In most cars with auto-levelling the actual projector moves, but with the S3 it's just the motor that aligns the beam. Park facing a white garage and you should see signs of movement. If not the motors might not be working.

Also, the xenons are aimed low from the factory, and would need to be re-adjusted using VAGCOM. The S3 headlights aren't particularly good though, so don't expect miracles.

there are level sensors on the front and rear nearside suspension arms. there is a controller. there are motors one on each headlight. don't jump to conclusions.

first get it scanned see if any faults are up for any of the components.
then check that the adjustment motors connectors are plugged in to the back of the headlight.
then check the linkages from the sensors to the suspension arms, they look like ARB drop links and have a balljoint on each end. If any work is done where the suspension arms drops excessively (damper/spring replacement for example) then the sensor arm can be acccidentally broken off.

If these are okay then you are down to either controller or the motors on the headlight as mentioned above.

a just disconnected the motor, one kept aimin to the ground so after disconnecting it i aimed it against a white garage door and adjusted it myself to suit the oposite light, fine now, dnt know wat will happen at an mot though

it will probably fail if your auto levelling isn't working. I believe that you need your headlight washers and auto levelling to be working for a MOT pass on Xenon HID lights.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Mine defo don't move even when starting on a white garage although it's not so low its unsafe or illegal, just a little bit too low for my liking. However as Ross said I suspect its a MOT failiure without the auto levelling. I'm considering a remap so might be a good idea to ask them to scan then as I have no access to VAGCOM. Any other good tips keep em coming ;-)

It won't fail the MOT if the headlights are aimed correctly, the testing station will not test the auto levelling mechanism.

Best way to test out the motors is to raise one side of the car up with a jack and when you switch on the lights it should adjust the beam to accomodate the extra ground clearance.

Cheers guys, I think mine self adjust ill check in the morn but they are just too low and my main beam too high. I don't know anyone with vag com and just plugging fault finder in doesn't come up with any codes. Any suggestions?