Coolant sensor probes.

barters3

Reaction score
my coolant warning light keeps coming on even when the level is fine and the temp is fine.
I thought i might be able to remove the two metal probes in the header tank to clean them, however they dont seem to be removable. can any body shed any light on this? Is i just a case of getting a replacement header tanks with new probes?

Also where abouts is the coolant system drain plug?

Thanks

Last edited:
A few people have had this. Seems more common during cold weather. Is your expansion tank topped up to the halfway point where the ball is joined together? Sometimes that little extra coolant stops the warning going off.
I don't think you can remove the sensor without damaging it, so it would be a new tank. Maybe the tank can be removed and some sort of cleaning chemical could be used?....might be worth a shot.

The system drain plug is located at the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. It's a tap and you just turn the knob anti-clockwise to open.

Thanks for your reply, i might just get a replacement expansion tank for what they cost.

i took my header tank off and cleaned it out, didnt use any chemicals, just plugged the holes with my fingers filled with hot water and shaked, rinse and repeat lol

seemed to clean it out nicely, i would try topping it up a bit first just to see if it helps