Oil level sensor

ianysm

Reaction score
Anyone had this? Mine came on briefly last night. Just after a service! He said it was giving an implausible signal on VCDS (a long with brake switch!). I was told to ignore it as to change it will require more new oil!

Brake light switch i assume is easy to change myself...Like clutch switch?

The issue with ignoring the faulty oil level sensor to my mind is that the car won't warn you when she's low on oil..... I'd pull the plug off and clean and spray with WD 40 to see if it's just a bad connection. Lots of salt on the raod at the moment, might not of done any good...

Not to state the obvious, it's just that it would concern me....

I get what you're saying. If it wasn't for the fact that the mechanic told me about the problem as i collected it from service then i would be worrying. He said not to worry about it and showed me the VCDS report. It came on then off 4 times on the way home though!

Funny, in the lasty year of owning it i've never seen the warning, then as soon as its been serviced its been on 6 times!

The Exact same things happened to my car after a service the oil sensor came on randomly, ill check the levels all the time and everythings ok. mechanic said would be a costly to get it changed but he never said anything about more oil needed, he stated its a faulty sensor.

Mines an a3 tdi on a 2000 if ANY one knows a solution pls let me know

cheers

oh yh where is the sensor located on the car i might try have a look at it myself even tho im a novice

the sensor is on the bottom of the sump pan. close to where the oil return from the turbo ties in.
Splitting, cleaning and remaking the connector is a good idea but if it doesn't fix it then personally i would replace it next time you do oil change.
bit dubious it was no problem then suddenly it is after your service...

replacing it is an oil change job as it screws onto the bottom of the sump and the sensor part of it pokes through a hole up into the oil.

replacements here.

Last edited:
Apologies to resurrect the thread, Would the link above part no - "1J0907660B" be the correct one? (BAM 2002 6 speed S3)

Thanks,
Joe