Devil Eye Headlights

Reaction score
Bought these the other day and fitted them, had to make my own wiring adaptor because they were meant for an a3 and werent supplied with one. Also tried Audi and they said it was impossible because I've got the gas charged xenons and would need a new loom which would be a £100 or so. So I had to go home and prove them wrong.

And here's the proof :happy:
Doubt it will be to everyones taste but I like 'em. I have to admit I wasn't sure about them during the day but they have grown on me now, they look awesome at night.

P1000502.jpg

P1000504.jpg

P1000505.jpg

P1000511.jpg

P1000512.jpg

P1000530.jpg

P1000532.jpg

P1000539.jpg

Last edited:
not my cuppa...have you foregone the xenons to have these or have you retrofitted the xenons back into these?

I like them, I have a question would a non facelift. S3 light fits a non facelift A3? Or does it require new wirring looms because of the hid? etc.. Any help would be appreciated.

So you removed OEM xenons to install far inferior halogens with tacky LED's? That's like dumping Cheryl Cole for the ginger one out of Girls Aloud.

So you removed OEM xenons to install far inferior halogens with tacky LED's? That's like dumping Cheryl Cole for the ginger one out of Girls Aloud.

actually i think nicole is fit as, something about red heads :yum:
mind you i dont think i would kick cheryl out of bed for her, would rather have both :sly:

but back to the headlights, not a fan to be honest mate, but fair fox to ya for having ago and actually getting it to work when told it was impossible :respekt:

Although I think that LED lights look very wrong on older cars that were not designed with them in mind visually, this attempt at retrofitting them is by far the best I've seen! Hat off to you mate.

I'm not a fan of these, but it's you car at the end of the day.

actually i think nicole is fit as, something about red heads :yum:
mind you i dont think i would kick cheryl out of bed for her, would rather have both :sly:

but back to the headlights, not a fan to be honest mate, but fair fox to ya for having ago and actually getting it to work when told it was impossible :respekt:

its nicola. :) and the only reason i remember that is becuase i would love to see her trodden to death by midgets.

fair play on the lights mate, i was wondering what they would look like. nice one.

These lights are marmite I think.

Not my cup of tea but its your car and if you like them then fair do's.

:)

I'm with you lemon, i quite like them!

was it an easy enough job?

Don't quite like these. Good stuff for getting them on though! If only the xenons were in i think they would look alot better!

Is that black insulation tape around the side of the headlight??

I quite like them.

At the end of the day anythings got tobe better than the sh*t audi fitted for us, the s3 xenon headlights are shocking tbh at night.

I quite like them.

At the end of the day anythings got tobe better than the sh*t audi fitted for us, the s3 xenon headlights are shocking tbh at night.

to be honest i have never noticed a prob with my s3 xenon, in fact there better than other cars i have owned, maybe they have been upgraded but i am pretty happy with them.

I don't think they look too bad, would be alot nicer if they did the chunky black border around the indicator chrome :)

Not bad mate, im still unsure on them, they do look good, but im not sure I would have them myself, have you got any night time pics, from a distance to see what they look like??

Good effort tho dude and well done for getting the job done.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I agree these are like marmite, I don't like marmite but I love these lights :cool:

I'm with you lemon, i quite like them!

was it an easy enough job?

It was fairly easy yeh. Just a bit fiddly getting the old lights out n the new ones in, had to partially take the bumper off to get the new ones in. With wiring them up it was just a question of working out which wire did what and connecting them.

Don't quite like these. Good stuff for getting them on though! If only the xenons were in i think they would look alot better!

Is that black insulation tape around the side of the headlight??

I will be trying to retro fit the xenons in as soon as my car passes it's MOT next week.
It's not tape, it came with a rubber seal stuck to it. I guess to prevent vibration but I might take them off as it makes my car look like it has eye liner lol.

I don't think they look too bad, would be alot nicer if they did the chunky black border around the indicator chrome :)

Yeh I agree, if I can remove the black or spray it silver somehow I will, but if not then I will have to live with it.

Not bad mate, im still unsure on them, they do look good, but im not sure I would have them myself, have you got any night time pics, from a distance to see what they look like??

Good effort tho dude and well done for getting the job done.

I tried night pics the other night but you couldn't really see what it looks like because of too much glare. I was driving through maldon highstreet earlier and came to a junction where there's a shop window facing you from across the road and I could see my lights in the window and thought they looked really nice, got to see them in real life as pictures don't do them justice.

Last edited:
Nice job but I think they make the lights look small when on ??? I like the look on long lights, just me being strange I suppose lol

I don't think tehy look too bad at all. I've certainly seen worse, and they do modernise the front being a single lense too :)

as far as retro fitting your xenons goes, I think it could be an interseting one.....

Obviously you've now got different bulb types to the original, I'd take a guess and say these are H1's? I think the originals are DS2's.

the easiest way to refit HID's would be to just buy an aftermarket set I think with the ballasts and everything plug and play in place of an H1 bulb. is the self levelling mechanism still connected up with these lights?

Agree with Prawn here.... get a HID kit rather than butchering your old lights... you've always got them there to put back on should you wish.... i think they look pretty good... just a shame about the indicator suround, lots of after market lights seem to look that way for some reason

I don't think tehy look too bad at all. I've certainly seen worse, and they do modernise the front being a single lense too :)

as far as retro fitting your xenons goes, I think it could be an interseting one.....

Obviously you've now got different bulb types to the original, I'd take a guess and say these are H1's? I think the originals are DS2's.

the easiest way to refit HID's would be to just buy an aftermarket set I think with the ballasts and everything plug and play in place of an H1 bulb. is the self levelling mechanism still connected up with these lights?

Well I was hoping I'd be able to swap the projectors over, maybe a lil modding needed. I was also thinking an HID kit, I have a set on one of my old alfa's up the garden, will have to get some H1 bulbs though as the kit I've got has H7.
I don't think I had self leveling anyway or atleast it didn't work.

Agree with Prawn here.... get a HID kit rather than butchering your old lights... you've always got them there to put back on should you wish.... i think they look pretty good... just a shame about the indicator suround, lots of after market lights seem to look that way for some reason

It wouldn't matter if I butchered my old ones anyway because one lense was smashed by a stone or a giant moth and the manual level adjusters are broken.

where did you get them?
you said they were not for the car, which car were they for?

I found them on ebay and saw that they were being sold by a shop down the road from me so I went down to look at them n bought them from there.
They are meant from an A3 between 95-00.

There quite nice, fair play.

Nice house by the way pal :)

I think they look very well done! I think if your xenons were white then it would look better, but best effort ive seen ever.

i like em. certainly a bit different! i was searching for a pic of these yesterday so u came just in time! lol

id like to see em on my car now. see what they look like on a black car

Lovely looking car, in one of my favourite colour for the 8L S3. But as a few people have said well done for getting them to work but i dont think they suit the 8L. They dont even suit the 8P. I'm hoping a decent set of aftermarket ones will come out with the LED in the correct position like the new 8P.

Once again well done for proving its possible. For the 8P the best ones i've seen are item number 230491645391 but i still look at them thinking there gonna ruin the look of my car...How you getting on with them a few months on? Did you get the HID kit?
As few of the guys with aftermarket lights like yours on the 8P section said the kits damaged there lights or blown the wiper motors.

Thanks for the kind comments even though the pictures done do it justice, it looks soo much better in real life especially at night. I still havent tried to retro fit my old xenons in yet but I have got rid of that horrible black border round the indicators n looks loads better. Might tackle the xenons tomorrow:cool:

Thanks for the kind comments even though the pictures done do it justice, it looks soo much better in real life especially at night. I still havent tried to retro fit my old xenons in yet but I have got rid of that horrible black border round the indicators n looks loads better. Might tackle the xenons tomorrow:cool:

Lemon I'm a big fan of the DRL headlights ( my thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?101094-Advice-Please-DRL-LED-Headlamps-for-00-03-Audi-A3 ) and I think they look fantastic, they really modernise the look of your car!

I was hoping to get some advice from you. I have a 2002 facelift Audi A3, do you think this headlamp unit would be hard to fit to my car? how exactly did you need to change the wiring for the lights to fit your car? Also what did you do to remove the black border? thanks so much for any advice you can give me in regards to this.

In regards to tackling the xenon issue, I'd say the easiest method for you here would be to just use a H7 HID conversion kit (assuming the projector bulb is H7) like the one below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-XENON-KIT...CarParts_SM&hash=item45f41f092a#ht_7865wt_984

They are extremely easy to fit and that way you don't have to mess around with your OEM Audi xenons and make the old light hard to re-fit should you ever feel the need to.

Lemon I'm a big fan of the DRL headlights ( my thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?101094-Advice-Please-DRL-LED-Headlamps-for-00-03-Audi-A3 ) and I think they look fantastic, they really modernise the look of your car!

I was hoping to get some advice from you. I have a 2002 facelift Audi A3, do you think this headlamp unit would be hard to fit to my car? how exactly did you need to change the wiring for the lights to fit your car? Also what did you do to remove the black border? thanks so much for any advice you can give me in regards to this.

In regards to tackling the xenon issue, I'd say the easiest method for you here would be to just use a H7 HID conversion kit (assuming the projector bulb is H7) like the one below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-XENON-KIT...CarParts_SM&hash=item45f41f092a#ht_7865wt_984

They are extremely easy to fit and that way you don't have to mess around with your OEM Audi xenons and make the old light hard to re-fit should you ever feel the need to.

I don't see why they wouldn't fit, I think the sellers are just trying to cover themselve as they don't know for sure. You can get them cheaper than £208, I got mine for about £160. They were on ebay but the company selling them were only down the road called Rudie Mods IIRC. The wiring side of things, as they were for an A3 the connector was completely different so all I had to do was find out what each wire was connected to then made an adaptor..simples!
I do have some HIDs which were on a previous car, so all I would have to do is get the right bulb but my OEM xenon headlights have broken headlight adjusters so they are scrap anyway.

are these the black headlamps or chrome? cant really see in the pics properly. look like the chrome devil lamps.

look mint i want sum in black.i checked the rudie miods website there 224 pounds :( 160 id have apair :(

I think i would break out the heat gun and pull thoes puppies apart. Paint the housing the same color of the car. I did it on my celica and made the world of differance. I think i may have to find some for mine, I like the look of them. Anyone know of any good aftermarket headlights for the 2001 left hand drive A3? Or ones that are compatable? thanks

good job on the lights

Last edited:
I think i would break out the heat gun and pull thoes puppies apart. Paint the housing the same color of the car. I did it on my celica and made the world of differance.

good job on the lights

I have and my god it was difficult to pull the lenses off. The lenses on the standard lights came off without using any heat but the mastik that was used on these lights was ridiculous, even with heat it was a pain in the ****. The reason why I was taking them apart was to retro fit the standard S3 xenons into them and to remove the black border round the indicator

Here's a pic of the xenons (right) compared to the standard bulbs (left) that come with them:

P1000952.jpg

P1000958.jpg

Will be writing a thread soon on how to do this.