A3 vs S3

audi_girl

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Well I have an A3 1.8T at the moment as a loaner from the dealer while they fix a couple of bits on my 2001 S3.

Thought I would put my thoughts on here - I'm really used to driving the S3 and it's interesting to see what the differences are.

First things that struck me;

How much easier the A3 is to drive than the S3. Don't mean this in any derogatary way at all (to those A3 drivers!) but it isn't as twitchy and you don't seem to need to control it quite as much.

Also noticed the whistly noise of the turbo...

It was surprisingly quick, especially at the low end. Bit of a flat spot at "overtaking speeds" i.e. 45ish - 70ish, and then obviously not as much power as the S3 at the top end.

BUT very nice from a standing start (ESP switched off seems totally necessary), smooth gear changes (although I found the gear box a bit "squishy" in comparison to mine) and cruises at 120kph quite happily in 5th.

imho it could do with 6th gear, but overall I quite liked it. Lots quieter than the S3 which is nice on the motorway.

It doesn't have BOSE and after all the slagging I have given BOSE, it is loads better than NOT having BOSE !

Nice car... but.. still... don't want to swap it for the S3 and can't wait to get my baby back !!

I'm sure you'd also miss the 4wd if you were, like me, chasing 5 mental Scotsman and 1 insane Englishman around the B roads of the Highlands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Definately needs a chip which would sort it - I've seen the A3 with the APR Chip and that was good - any of the tuners should be able to sort out that flat spot (caught me out once or twice so far !)

Don't know if I could get used to the whistly turbo though sounds a bit whiney.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JPR reckons I am more precise in my driving in the A3 than the S3 which I can't figure out... I guess it's either a) it's a loaner so I don't care b) I'm not going as fast or c) it's a bit easier to drive (which I reckon is the reason) - a bit less twitchy and more forgiving etc.

Reckon with a chip, and a few other mod's (wheels, suspension etc.) it would be good but then... why not get an S3 then mod it !

Or my current vague idea to put a diesel chipped modified engine into a TT Roadster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif Man, what a job, but fuel efficient, quick, and convertible !!! Or the 2.5TDi into the A4Cab..... hmmmmmm!!!

Well if you want to swap, I'm happy to swap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al, it was an A4, but hey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Funny about the smoothness thing, I feel as though I chuck the S3 around much more than the A4 and that I'm not as smooth sometimes. Maybe it's because I can get away with it. It's certainly harder to drive faster (IMHO), but I think a good deal of that is because it's ultimately more capable, faster and I'm not yet used to properly dealing with the combination of extra traction and grip, plus the different balance of applying power in a 4wd car.

Mark,

I was refering to another Mark. Mark from Wiltshire, now has an S2000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You certainly didn't appear to be still getting to grips with the S3 during the Scottish meet.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Or the 2.5TDi into the A4Cab..... hmmmmmm!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
It's already in there Jo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Having done the A3 to S3 migration myself including chipping both, I agree that they are different kettles of fish. They may look similar but there are differences in every aspect of the driving inputs which are really noticable. Steering weight, gearbox feel (and ratios)etc etc, the list goes on. I guess the S3 actually has to justify the price difference so should feel different.
Don't get me wrong, the A3 doesn't feel inferior and is a better car in some circumstances - I actually want them both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hug.gif

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Mark,

I was refering to another Mark. Mark from Wiltshire, now has an S2000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You certainly didn't appear to be still getting to grips with the S3 during the Scottish meet.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, right, oops, there's my Ego gone now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, I was pushing it a bit at points on that run, but I still felt like there was a better way to get some more out the car. I'll keep making that excuse anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif