EM TuningSky Insurance
    4th Gear

Status

Question Weight reduction on S3.

Ok people, as it this Sunday is Santa Pod, I would like to reduce the weight of the beast, I read somewhere here it is a bout 1450kg and the A3 is around 1150kg even less. I have good power low down but on the speed gears i.e. 4th 5th & 6th it doesnt feel as powerful.

I want to remove the following:
    • Spare wheel with jack etc...
    • Back seat! How much does it weigh?
    • Is it worth removing the stereo along with changer & back box?
    • Anything else would be appreciating.
    looking forward to hear your thoughts on this.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    My a3 back seats weigh 17kg, then spare wheel is around 15kg so removing them isnt going to do much really. the main thing our your big old heated seats. comfy yes but weighing in at around 40kg+ there heavy!. Remove the passenger front seat then youd get a saving of around 90kg. go further and getting bucket seats and light weight alloys you could save in total around 130kg! bringing ya hp/weight up by around 15bhp.+
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

6th Gear

Status
    I would look to remove the passenger seat too. if your going all out. but to be honest... if its all got to be revearsable... i think your limited.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

4th Gear

Status
    Is it easy to remove the front passenger seat? I don’t want to damage anything... and roughly how long would it take me to do it? I am not a total novice but not a mechanic either.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Alex

Status
    I wreckon it's just a few bolts on the subframe holding the front seat down as well as a plug for the wiring. It takes me about 5mins to remove the back seats and spare wheel, the only tricky part is getting the 60/40 back rests away from the middle bracket. I think there's some kind of knack to it but I just keep wriggling until it comes off lol.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

4th Gear

Status
    Thank you all, I shall be removing everything saturday, ready for sunday.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Lets hope you dont get a puncture on the way!
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Alex

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Lets hope you dont get a puncture on the way!
    He probably will now you said that lol
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

6th Gear

Status
    I wouldn't waste time removing the stereo and changer either, the amount of weight you'd save would be minimal. You wouldn't even notice over a short quarter mile burst...

The S3 is just a heavy beast unfortunately...
    revo'd

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Back box? Do you mean aftermarket sub woofer? leave that at home lol As for removing the passenger seat, your airbag light will come on, and you will need it reset with Vagcom or similar. Pump the tyres upto 50psi also, and take a dump before you go, that will shave a few hundrendths! lol

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

1st Gear

Status
    unless you going the whole hog mate( carpets, roof lining, dash etc etc)it totally isnt worth the hassle!!

NW@R
    www.nedetailing.co.uk

CaRs GoNe:
    Focus 1.6 standard engine .... huge sounds!! ( www.bassmechanix.com )
    Focus RS 383.4bhp + 378 ft/lb torque .... Weapon!!
    Now ... S3 in bits at the min, but will soon be back!!!

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Ive heard the internal sound proofing weighs 30kg, is this true and where the hell is it all located lol?

6th Gear

Status
    i ve read that using a ligther set of alloys is beneficial, the rotational weight of a wheel is far more than say its curb weight
    Last edited by mattyboy199; 19th January 2010 at 19:55.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Extreme weight savings:

Remote control car?
    Drive naked?

1st Gear

Status
    Loose the air con lol
    The light that burns twice as bright , burns half as long.

Status
    ChriS3 did the weight reduction thing and never noticed much difference when we were duelling at Inters in 07.

1st Gear

Status
    IMO don't waste your time at all doing all the weight reduction, just so you have to waste your time putting it all back again. What are you going to gain 1/10th of a second? Dude, just do a few 1/4 miles and be happy with what you get, safe in the knowledge you dont have to spend hours putting it right again, and you have all the "luxury" items that makes your s3 awesome (like a spare wheel), and not just a dragster.

You are prob better off spending the time you would have spent on weight reduction, in learning the technique required to maximise acceleration while not killing your cars components.

Weight reduction only really comes into its own on the track where the you reap the benefits of the full dynamics of being lighter, not just acceleration, i.e. braking and cornering.

Another S3 owner....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave View Post
    IMO don't waste your time at all doing all the weight reduction, just so you have to waste your time putting it all back again. What are you going to gain 1/10th of a second? Dude, just do a few 1/4 miles and be happy with what you get, safe in the knowledge you dont have to spend hours putting it right again, and you have all the "luxury" items that makes your s3 awesome (like a spare wheel), and not just a dragster.

You are prob better off spending the time you would have spent on weight reduction, in learning the technique required to maximise acceleration while not killing your cars components.

Weight reduction only really comes into its own on the track where the you reap the benefits of the full dynamics of being lighter, not just acceleration, i.e. braking and cornering.
    I could not have said that any better - in total agreement with kave.
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

S3 Drift King!

Status
    This springs to mind.

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This springs to mind.
    Haha brilliant. 2nd place is for loosers

4th Gear

Status
    jojo are you coming santa pod then! AMD vs REVO something we said a few months back.

4th Gear

Status
    Thank you all, I think I will just remove the back seats and the spare wheel I guess it's not worth removing the front seat as it looks long, and a friend wants to come with me. otherwise he would have no place to sit!!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3KO4 View Post
    jojo are you coming santa pod then! AMD vs REVO something we said a few months back.
    I'm hopeful to attend GTI International for a AmD vs REVO rematch against Mr Voorhees lol, won't be heading to Santa Pod until maybe the Spring Festival.

4th Gear

Status
    Oh well, good luck with that, I will try the spring one as well. in the mean time I hope I can have a run against a standard 8P S3 see how that goes, as mentioned above a few of them will be turning up.