LPG conversion

Keeno

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!
Reaction score
Website
dj.time2cruise.co.uk
Does anyone know anything about LPG conversions?

Went to fill up the other day and the bloke in front of me paid around £20 for his tank of LPG compared to my £50.43 for petrol. Which got me thinking, is it worth it?
I used to work with a bloke who had had his converted to LPG and he reckoned you couldn't tell when the engine switched from petrol to gas (fires up on petrol, the automatically switches over) and from riding shotgun, it would appear he was right.

HOWEVER

I've also heard that it can make MPG suffer and sap torque and power somewhat. I've done a bit of looking into it but can't seem to find any reliable/impartial sources of info.
Has anyone else had the convertion done/know someone who has and can give me some advise?

I asked this question a while ago, i think it came down to the weight of the car being quite alot and the addition of another tank etc, is just going to add to the weight, causing performance loss, however, there was something to do with the LPG being of a higher octane which could have its benefits.

There's a dolphin grey S3 on pistonheads at the moment with this done. Says it cost £1500 for conversion. Knew someone that used to own an LPG converting business, and apparently the car can be tuned to be just as powerful as it would be with petrol, or you can have the lpg for low power, cheap fuel cost commuting, then switch over to petrol for high power fun. Don't know whether the mpg is better or worse though. Even if it decreases slightly, it shouldn't matter as the cost of it will easily outweigh the loss. Personally I think it would only be worth doing if you are commuting alot of miles.