FULL synthetic oil vs semi-synthetic

shaz A3 Tdi

Reaction score
HI guys i was wondering is it worth my while putting synthetic oil in my A3 TDI its done 201876 and always run on SEMI. Would it make any improvments or just a wasste of time and money????

I love my car but its had some major problems recently i went without it for like 5weeks can you belive it 5WEEKS!!!!!!!!!! new turbo, (which DONT feel as good as my old one) stearing rack, ball joints, track rods blah blah blah, NOW i need a dam wheel hub kit bearing etc, headlight switch and elelctric mirrior switch!!!!!!!!!! all hard for me to get hold of at a reasonable price ANYWAY im just trying to keep it alive a little while longer and thought of changing oil and fuel ETC..

any idea tips etc would b very helpful

cheers

Wow! I knew Tdi's were durable BUT 200000!

Back on topic. Fully synthetic does make a difference, and so does using ultimate diesel (Or similar). The high performance diesel is good for your car in that is contains lubricants that clean your injectors. Back to the oil thing, make sure you flush the old oil using flushing oil, drop the old oil out then replace the oil filter before sticking the new stuff in (Oil service basically).
With a car that's done that many miles and built up a heck of a lot of gunk, I would be surprised if it DIDN'T make a difference.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I would be wary of doing an oil flush. Yes I agree it is a good thing to do and will benefit the engine however, any crap and crud that is flushed loose is gonna end up in the sump. When the oil pump tries to suck up the oil it is also going to suck in some of that gunk which will likely obstruct the strainer on the pick up pipe.

Hmmm... Thinking about it, if the engine is a high miler, that gunk may also be protecting seals... Disregard the fushing oil suggestion.

Just do an oil/ oil filter change.

Thanks Rossbrownlee, I was using my morning brain.

Wow! I knew Tdi's were durable BUT 200000!

My Passat TDI is on 173k miles, and it feels as powerful as the day I got it, plus I have been running chipped power since 90k miles. I hope those problem listed in the first post don't come about when I hit 200k. I've always used VAG spec oil(501 or something?) for servicing.