Removing headset - heeeeeeeellllppppppp

andy-pandy

Reaction score
How do I dismantle Audi A3 1996 dashboard? - I cant get the concert stereo out cos the springs or latches wont release. Have tried to take the facia off but stuck around the edge of the stereo head unit and i cant see a way in. I need to preserve the current radio as i need to fit an ipod adaptor to it. Anyone know how or have a pdf or diagram of how to take it all to bits so i dont wreck it???

much appreciated if you can help

cheers

andy

You can prise off the front of the HU without wrecking it. This will give you access to the ******* spring clips and you should be able to get it out from there.
First mask off the console around the HU with gaffer tape so you don't scratch the dash surround.
Then use a putty knife or similar to prise off the front using some plastic inserts to prevent damage to the surround as shown below (use something like an ice cream tub lid cut into strips). It is just clipped on in 4 places (2 top and 2 bottom). You will probably dent the plastic a bit underneath and on top of the HU but this won't show.
Concertfasciaremovedcopy.jpg

You cannot remove the console fascia with the HU in place as it is bolted to the metalwork either side of the hole the HU occupies.

Leshkin

That makes absolute sense - fantastic....

Just one thing - since you have obviously performed this delicate proceedure, where is the best points to prise off the HU face - ? - top middle or bottom? - ...are there ping clips anywhere I should know?

many thanks and kind regards

andy