Head unit!

Micky D

Reaction score
Alright lads
Planning on putting a headunit and ps3 in my S3.
I was wondering what would be the best decent priced head unit to get that would be compatible with my plans?
Cheers in advance!

if you have bose get an amplifier(adapter from halfords £45 ish) otherwise the front speakers wont work and u need a decent headunit not a ****** ripspeed one lol, i recommend pioneer, alpine or kenwood(top spec) for a good flip out screen!!!!!!!!

ciao

punani

Cheers mate. Gave autosounds a call and im just going to put it into their hands so atleast i know that its going to be done properly. As the last time i put a hu in a car it didnt go too well.. :p ask hardy haha

Got a ripspeed one (DVD player and reversing camera) in my discovery but the headunit isn't very good. Only plays out of one speaker on a CD/DVD. The display is good though which is why i bought it.

As above, go for a well known make and the biggest screen you can afford. Nothing worse than playing PS3 on small screen. I had one in my M3 and had to upgrade to the widescreen for it to be any good!

I heard the ripspeed HUs were basically Pioneer units? Could be a load of tosh though! :think:

Ripspeed are reconditiond halfrauds crap matey
Cheers for the help!

As far as interfacing the HU with the PS3, you'd need to make sure that the HU takes s-Video and Phono inputs. You can then use the additional cable that comes with PS3 to connect it to your new HU.

As far a replacing the standard HU, your looking at using some sort of adapter to mate it with the weird Bose speaker/amp wiring (I'm assuming that this is what you have on your S3). You can find some examples on this site, but you'd need to make sure that the adapter is the correct version for your particular model. They are crap and if you are after good quality sound, then ditch the standard wiring/amp/speakers/sub and replace it with something that actually sounds half-decent. AndyMac on this site is THE man to speak to about Audi sound upgrades.