A3 TQS Tuning

Keefy

Reaction score
After just finding out that my '99 TQS isn't going to be written off after all, I've decided to abandon the idea of laying out a stack of cash for an S3. Instead I'm wanting to iron out all the niggly issues with my current A3 (sticky windows, slight exhast blowing etc), and get it to a condition I'm happy with.

Stuff I'm considering includes all the usual remap/ECU upgrade, cotton panel filter and DV, but I was wondering what, if any, little things are worth upgrading? Not talking BT or anything mental, just some nice under the bonnet stuff to get me a little closer to S3 performance.

Also, heard that earlier A3 TQs like mine can't get a straight remap and have to get a new ECU? May be wrong but could someone clarify?

Ta.

Also, heard that earlier A3 TQs like mine can't get a straight remap and have to get a new ECU? May be wrong but could someone clarify?

Nah, you might need to get it 'chipped' rather than 'remapped' if it can't be mapped through the OBD port - not a big deal.

If I were you, aswell as filter, DV etc, i'd remove any big restrictions (downpipe?) maybe get an FMIC and then get a custom remap. That'll probably get you the most power & torque you're gonna get without spending ££££.
Then i'd concentrate on suspension/brakes/tyres etc.

Last edited:
Remap, DV, filter and Silicon TIP would be what i'd do. Should be around 210bhp then

Thanks guys. Sounds like a plan. Not sure about FMIC money-wise and in all honesty I don't know what a silicon TIP is!

Got a quote from Streetwise in Bristol for a Stage 1 Revo, which was £350+VAT, which seems pretty reasonable. The guy I spoke to didn't seem to think a filter and DV were necessary though, contrary to what I've read on here??

Check out this build thread here from user Dani_B19 regarding what a silicone turbo intake pipe (TIP) is and how to fit one.

If you can get one that is meant for your engine it is a lot easier than is made out in this thread however I am in the same boat where there isn;t an 'off the shelf' model available.
I have bought an SFS TIP meant for a BAM/APX engine and have to do some slight plumbing in to get it to fit.

my cousin has a a4 1.8tqs with 007p turbo back miltek and a superchips chip. if mine was standard it would give my s3 a good run for its money. he also has kw v3 so it def handles better then mine at the mo. good luck bud. he couldnt get it remapped from the usual revo cc etc so went to superchips. mrc and others work on chips i believe.

good luck bud. he couldnt get it remapped from the usual revo cc etc so went to superchips. mrc and others work on chips i believe.

Cheers! Any idea on price from Superchips etc? Heard Custom Code is cheaper, but tbh Streetwise Bristol is 10 mins from my gaff, so might end up paying for the convenience.

It was chipped uk infact which cost him £300-350 which you could customise it as to agressive progressive etc