smooth or not to smooth roof rails

• smoothed

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • not smoothed

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Sandip

Reaction score
My S3 has gone into the bodyshop and i have asked them if it is possible to delete the roof rails. This would require filling smoothing then spraying. The bodyshop is very very good and i have full trust in them that the job would look stunning.
They have advised me though that the filling could possibly sink due to the depth of the roof rail, i want you guys/girls to give me a nudge to what i should go for, smooth roof rail or repair bubbling and replace roof strips.

The entire roof would be resprayed along with both rear quarters, what do you reckon?

I have to ring the bodyshop tomorrow morning to tell them what i'd like.
Thanks

Last edited:
I would personally repair it back as standard Sand, but as you like to show off, and make your car unique, why not go smooth. How much more extra are we talking?

Not talking any extra jo, that's why i'm thinking of doing it, they just said the 3yr warranty would be void, hmmmm....

Not talking any extra jo, that's why i'm thinking of doing it, they just said the 3yr warranty would be void, hmmmm....

3yr warranty on their work are we on about? Guess if it's a keeper, you need to have a think, but if selling within 3 years, it's not such a problem if anything goes wrong.

True, yes the 3yr warranty is on their work, so if was done standard and it bubbled again they would do it again, i think i'll be keeping the car for a while yet jo :)

Hard decision, it would look very sexy though

Would certainly be unique.

How likely do the bodyshop reckon the filler is going to shrink/sink? I would've thought that filler for car bodywork would be designed not to!

Think they are just covering their back bud, its a friendly bodyshop, i get where they're coming from, last thing they want is me going back to them 1yr later whinging thats its sunk lol Maybe it's a risk worth taking, would be much easier to clean :)
Thanks for your reply

I thought about getting this done last year when I got my roof repaired but thought it might look a bit strange. If its not going to cost any extra than i'd say go for it.

Just out of interest how much are they charging for the repair?

Depends if you want a wet bonce when you get out of the car after the rain!

Hmmm, I think with the warranty situation I'd be inclined to stick with standard just in case. that said though, if they build it up with fibreglass (P40) first then skim filler I can't see it sinking personally. And it's not like the roof gets put under too much strain really so it shouldn't really crack either...

Thanks for all your comments people, i've decided to go for the standard repair thebodyshop have advised me that not only could it sink but there is a possibility that it could crack due to the flex of the body/roof.

Westle they are not charging me for the repair, did they charge you?