Monster MotorsportBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Resetting airbag lights without VAGCOM

Had a recurring airbag light fault light up a couple of times now.
    Had it reset by kind sould with VAG COM but haven't really felt inclined to invest in the system / laptop myself.

Went for one of these tools on eBay instead. Cost just 18 plus p&p. And I've got to say - it does what it says on the tin! Not going to diagnose much in detail (though I do have a 'Mixture adjustment control' fault code too). Seems to just do Engine codes, ABS codes, Airbag codes and auto transmission codes.

Mine is a '99 A3 1.8.

I'd recommend it if anyone needs lights resetting on the cheap! Mine is the U280. Just thought others might like to know.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Speeding in reverse gear

Status
    Looks nice... I see your point and I'm sure it does what it says on the tin, but it won't really help you if you need to do more advanced diagnostics.

Tools like VagCom allow you to check/log numerous parameters, while the car is running, and can help to find out why a particular light is being triggered in the first place.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    decent info there mate, I've not seen one of them before. amazingly though, you can actually buy a vagcom cable for 2/3rds that price and have the full version of VAGcom available for just 12!

Still, if you don't have a laptop then that's an excellent bit of kit!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for your replies.
    Reason for buying this was for a quick & easy reset.

Having read about the neverending sagas of cheap cables from eBay failing to connect I thought this a tidier solution.
    Would like to know more about the 12 VAGCOM

Status
    all the ebay cables work, it's simply a case of knowing how to make them work.....

a bit of IT knowledge is required to get them working though. if you're using a USB cable, (which most are) simply going into vagcom options and selecting USB won't work. To get it to work you need to asign a set USB port as COM1, then make sure you always connect through this port. that's all that's needed to get the shareware version up and running.

To get the cracked full version working, it's a little more complex, requiring a batch file to be setup to continuously copy the crack files into the vagcom program folder.

Then you'll find on different years of cars that it won't connect to certain control modules, although this can be gotten around by changing the start baud rate.....

not 100% obvious at first, but when you get it setup (took about 10 mins in total) it's fully functional and everything works just fine on a 12 ebay cable. I'm yet to find anything I can't do with mine, running through a netbook.

I know many on the forum will disagree with this, but there's no way I was about to pay a fortune for the genuine version when it's so easily cracked!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chugger

Status
    ever tried to fix the airbag fault itself, pretty serious fault? apparently quite often down to the yellow connectors under the seats.

Looks cool, but logging blocks is the main use of vagcom. As said it doesnt cost alot more...

Chugger

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    all the ebay cables work, it's simply a case of knowing how to make them work.....

a bit of IT knowledge is required to get them working though. if you're using a USB cable, (which most are) simply going into vagcom options and selecting USB won't work. To get it to work you need to asign a set USB port as COM1, then make sure you always connect through this port. that's all that's needed to get the shareware version up and running.

To get the cracked full version working, it's a little more complex, requiring a batch file to be setup to continuously copy the crack files into the vagcom program folder.

Then you'll find on different years of cars that it won't connect to certain control modules, although this can be gotten around by changing the start baud rate.....

not 100% obvious at first, but when you get it setup (took about 10 mins in total) it's fully functional and everything works just fine on a 12 ebay cable. I'm yet to find anything I can't do with mine, running through a netbook.

I know many on the forum will disagree with this, but there's no way I was about to pay a fortune for the genuine version when it's so easily cracked!
    dunno if i would of admitted to that prawn lol

Reverse Gear

Status
    ^^^^ Ha - yep that'll be the reason I couldn't be doing with the whole 'cracked' / eBay route!
    What a palava! Glad you've got the time & IT skills for it all!

But that's the point of this thread. Cheap easy basic diagnosis without having to deal with IT intricacies!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    dunno if i would of admitted to that prawn lol
    Tell me about it man, the VCDS police will surely be along soon to shoot me down!