ESP Light stays on!!!

jordan m

Reaction score
Hi all, a newbie here and really need some help!!! I have a 2002 225 bhp model S3.
A recent MOT showed I needed new friont and rear brake pads and passenger side CV joint replacement. Basically the tracking was out and there was some 'play' in the left front wheel when the car was on a ramp.
Yesterday, in the damn ice and snow, I hit the left front side into a kerb at about 5-10 mph when trying to turn a corner. The result was the tracking is even more out, so I have to hold the wheel a quarter turn to the left to keep the car straight. The wheel also looks like it is too far back under the wheel arch.( The front right wheel is almost in the middle under the arch so the wheel has almost the same space either side of the arch). So the left wheel that was hit is not centre, but looks further back then middle under the arch and rubs now when I full lock the car left or right. The handling was awful too, so I presumed I had further damaged the CV joint that needed replacing anyway.
This morning the ESP light has come on (just ESP not ABS light) and stayed on and will not go off, either by pressing the button or turing the car off, as when I stop and start the car, the light still remains on. What I need to know is does anyone think it could be the CV joint that is making the ESP light stay on??
I dont fancy going to the stealers to get ripped off!!
Any help would be much appreciated please....!!
Thanks guys!

Hi and welcome to the forum...

Firstly, are you sure you haven't bent anything? For the tracking to be that out and especially after your described tangle with a curb it sound plausable that something could be bent and you really need to get that sorted out...

As for the ESP light staying on, this can relate to a number of things and the only real way to diagnose this is to read the fault codes out with VAGCOM or similar. Only time I have had the ESP light stay on is when my MAF went south but considering the recent impact you have had it could be tied to the wheel sensor although I would expect the ABS light to have come on too...

CV joint is a bit of a red herring IMO, its either ******** or not.... if it is get it changed obviously but the play in the left wheel sounds more like a wheel bearing to me or maybe the bottom ball joint but difficult to say exactly as "some 'play' in the left front wheel" is a little ambiguous...

I would get the car hooked up to VAGCOM or some other diagnostic tool to see why the ESP light is on then get the front suspension/steering checked over for something thats bent and go from there...

Where are you based??

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply, I am based in MAIDENHEAD, BERKS. What is VAGCOM and how do I get it tested on it?? Thanks...

The wheel also looks like it is too far back under the wheel arch. So the left wheel that was hit is not centre, but looks further back then middle under the arch and rubs now when I full lock the car left or right.
Thanks guys!
Mate sounds like you have given your suspension a right hammering. I would guess knackered control arm mate you should get that checked out asap. you could always get the dealers to check it, they don;t necessarily have to do the repair work...

Sorry to sound dumb, but is the control arm the same as the wishbone???
I am getting the car on a ramp today at a local garage, hopefully they can see if anythings bent/broken. So would you guys recommend getting any bent/ broken parts fixed, then look into getting the ESP light fixed?? Thanks!

Also, would replacement parts for the suspension on a S3 be the same as parts on a standard A3???

Do you have a local garage you use for servicing etc rather than take it to the dealer? They should be able to plug in a diagnostic tool and tell you without the expense of going to a dealer. Popular misconception that :)

VAGCOM is a bit of software a lot of the members on this (and other) forum uses to diagnose faults with VAG group cars. Have a look at this part of the forum

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?27-VCDS-(formerly-VAG-COM)-forum

... there is a link to the VCDS map that may help you find a member near by you willing to run a diag on your car.

<tuffty/>

Sorry to sound dumb, but is the control arm the same as the wishbone???
I am getting the car on a ramp today at a local garage, hopefully they can see if anythings bent/broken. So would you guys recommend getting any bent/ broken parts fixed, then look into getting the ESP light fixed?? Thanks!

yeah the wishbone. your local garage'll be able to tell you whats bent/broken.

Some S3 and A3 parts are the same however a lot are not, especially suspension/steering. you really need to check carefully.

check out online parts catalogue vagcat here which is useful.

you have to register but it is free.

HI all, managed to find out the problem, was a bent wishbone on passanger side, so going to get it replaced asap!!! How do you order parts from the vagcat?? I can see all the prices are in euros, but how do you place an order??? Thanks...

How do you order parts from the vagcat?? I can see all the prices are in euros, but how do you place an order??? Thanks...

You don;t order from there mate, just use the part number to place an order elsewhere.

I have used AVS in the past and they seem good. check them out here. just make sure the part you order is correct. Personally I almost always go to the dealers for parts.