Phantom radio....

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Well seems the search function is caput...

Was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden the radio went quite quiet, turned it back up then 2 minutes later it was blasting out, turned it down and so on until i got to work.

Was really annoying to be fair. Now i remember reading soemthing about this a while ago but cant find anything.

Any help.

You jokin!

This car isnt worth the hassle.

Just get a replacement HU, if you want an original one, they are going dirt cheap on the bay, think Staffor Audi were doing them recently, but yep its a common fault something to do with the internal memory, cant remember...lol - I have internal memory probs too ;)

You jokin!

This car isnt worth the hassle.

Not jokin Dani, maybe Andymac will be about to explain it in more detail, something along the lines of the volume adjuster knob running out of memory after X amount of turns, so doesn't hold still on the existing settings, hence your volume going up and down.

So int going togo away then :sob:, havent got the money mate or i would, damn insurance has raped me blind.

Long and short of it is that it's a coding fault in the factory software.

Volume is controlled by an EEPROM chip, and these sorts of chips have a limited write cycle, meaning they can only be written to so many times.

Basicaly, due to a bit of a balls up when the software for the stereo was being written, the people who wrote it set the stereo up so that EVERY adjustment on the volume was recorded to the chip, instead of the stereo's RAM. These chips can be written to roughly 10,000 times, and every single adjustment is recorded. Doesn't take long to knacker the chip out, roughly 3 years on average use, more if the stereo hasn't been used much.

You'll notice it will initially get better once the unit warms up as heat makes the chips work a little better, even when going bad. But that will stop and eventually yours will be like mine and have 3 volume levels. Off. Ambient. Live Gig. The one in the A3 was similar.

You can get them repaired for around £80. Best to google it to find where is best for you.....

You can test to make sure this is the case by testing that you can adjust the bass, treble etc properly, because they don't get used much, there EEPROMS are still likely to be OK.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

Last edited:
Just to pop one out there I know the volume buttons a common fault but VAG audio have GALA which is what adjusts the sound volume to the noise fron the engine/ revs thing so also worth a go first all however inevitably its prob going to be that annoying button!

Gala is in the settings mode, there is a way of getting to it pending your unit

Ad

Unfortunately it's not a "common fault" it's an inherrent design flaw. It will happen to every Concert HU manufactured before about 2001. It's not a case of if but when. As said 10,000 volume adjustments and you need a new HU. The problem will only get worse until the HU is unusable.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Navi plus issues for the 8L s3?

Thats a real choker about the concert HU! I may be lucky not having one

Thanks

Ad