S3 holding back on power... any ideas?

lloydsta101

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've had this problem for a while now and originally thought it was clutch related, but I've now had this done and still have the problem. It's not all the time that it happens, but it's becoming more and more frequent which is frustrating.

Basically, when I'm accelerating in pretty much any gear, the revs shoot up to around 40 and the car feels and sounds like it's holding back in power quite badly. The revs then drop back down to around 30 and it slowly builds back up again. It mainly does it if I want to suddenly put my foot down a bit without dropping a gear, which should be a fairly easy task for the S3.

It hasn't always done this, only for about a month or so and it's getting annoying... especially when I'm following someone else and they decide to pull ahead leaving me fighting for power behind. I've had it plugged into VAGCOM and it doesn't come up with any faults, other than Secondary Air Pump which has now been fixed, cleared and hasn't come back.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Sean.

It could be a boost leak,check the miles of un-necessary pipe in your engine bay ;)

Yeah, I'll have a look tomorrow. Could it be anything to do with the N75 Valve do you think, I've heard that it can cause boost problems if faulty?

an upgrade to the N75 'J' version is worthwhile as its 30 quid and if you look at ess threes performance testing it gives more so do it

Hmm, yeah I might do that. Just noticed a recent thread about another member upgrading to the 'J' valve... where can I get one of these from?