Replacing the small silicon hoses.

Westy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about changing as much of the small silicone hose as possible as most of it is looking quite tired and the clips are knackered too. I was wondering what hoses are the most important ones to change, or the ones that tend to fail most.

On another hose note, I also noticed today 2 braded hoses in the engine bay that looked quite new. One was thin and conected to a valve of some sort under the inlet minifold. The other was thicker and appeared to connect to something near the gear box. Any ideas?

The one under the manifold - is that going from under there to the secondary air injection valve? I replaced mine with silicone vac tubing as i found that although the braid looked okay the hose itself was ropey.

It might do It was difficult to trace. I think I'll buy a couple of metres of 3 & 4mm hose and try to replace as much as I can with it.

If anyone has any other suggestions of which pipes to replace then post them up.

All of the ones coming from the inlet manifold are the ones to swap out. If your engine is an APY the replace the hoses to the N112 (and then the pipe from the N112 to the SAI) and the N249 hose array (if you decide to keep it). If other then the N112 isn't there, and nor is the SAI.

Others worth changing are the FPR pipe to the inlet mani, the DV pipe, the N75 Boost hoses to the waste gate and from charge pipe.

Can't think of any others worth doing off the top of my head. Just do all of them!!!

Cheers Welly. I have a bam engine so no N112 and I already ditched the N249 following your excellent guide last month.

I'm going to replace the DV hose as it is currently joined with a connector after removing the N249 chamber and hoses. I'm also going to do the FRP as I'm hoping this will sort out my lean fueling at the top end of my rev range.

Whats the little bit of hose that connects to a metal black pip coming off the right hand side of the inlet manifold, on the top?

Also is the N74 boost hose a pain to get to?

Also is the N75 boost hose a pain to get to?

The N75's boost hose is easy enough mate, it's the wastegate one which is a pain in the chuff. The boost source hose is one of the two pipes which come off of the charge pipe immediately after the silencer. Unclip, remove, re-pipe with good hose! I'd be inclined to leave to wastegate hose (comes off the top of the N75) if you don't fancy a grapple!

Whats the little bit of hose that connects to a metal black pip coming off the right hand side of the inlet manifold, on the top?

Not sure which hose you mean, not near a 1.8T at the moment so can't look either... Having a look through my old hosted photos trying to see!

Ahhhh, that one. Not sure where it goes off to but it's a vac/pressure source for something or other. I replaced that pipe on my AGU engine with Silicone, but it didn't have a proper union like our ones. I've had a leak from there on the AGU since changing it so, leaving it is probably the best shout. Besides, it will only join to black metal pipe anyway, so not sure what you'd gain by changing it.

Go with 4mm. That way if it's too big you can clamp it down with a fuel line clip or similar, and if it's too big you can stretch it over things without splitting it (especially the N75 Boost source from the charge pipe!).

4mm is the charm! Cheap as well, I got 4 metres for about £2.65 on the bay on sale :)