Vent Gauge Pod DIY

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Well, with the bad weather making me not want to head out into the cold ive been making a start on copying avent gauge pod i bought. Im doing this to either sell or change slightly to sit the gauge a little deeper into the pod.

The actual air vent cam with the expensive kit i bought but its just a standard item with the flaps removed... so im going to brave a scrap yard once the snow has ******** off.

what do you think of my progress so far??

Gaugepod1.jpg

Gaugepod3.jpg

Im going to cover it with fiberglass resin so ive made it a little smaller than the original

i made one not quite as good as this but does the job, the thread is somewhere

I also made one a while back, but a bit different to you guys. I trimmed down the vent slats to fit nicely around the boost gauge that was sat in a pod holder thing, basically a plastic tube with a lip. So the gauge is merged into the slats. The bonus is that air can still pass through the vent around the gauge. Doesn't quite look as profesh as yours Paul but not bad. The slats obviously cant be adjusted any more but in summer your grateful that you've still got air pumping in!

Dont have any photos but i can always take some if your interested. I did get the idea after seeing a similar one on here though.

Mine is made from MDF then a few small spots of body filler to smooth any areas i couldnt work as well as i wanted.
Then a sealed it an and finished the surface by using fiber glass resin . Smoothed and painted with textured spray i got from a mate at BMW.

I have done the same from a shoe box! not as pro but only took me an hour so happy days, with a bit of leather glued on top to finish it off. I am making it out of fiberglass this time, I ordered some on the bay but the seller never sent it!!