Advice ASAP Please

dave.towler

Reaction score
I have just bought an S3 tonight, ran okay but called at fuel station within a few miles and had to put 95 unleaded in, manual says okay but car wont seem to boost at all, is this normal for 95 or other issue?

Also at idle temp rises to 90 as you would expect. On the move it goes back to 60 and below, I guess its the termostat?

Are these two linked?

Thanks all

So the cars not boosting at all?

My car hates 95 ron, it runs sweet as on 99 ron but anything else, even 97 like i found at the other day it hates.

Yeah it'll be the thermostat most likely.

Btw welcome to the s3 club.

Thanks for the welcome

Well yeah just seems to rev up but slow and not very boosty? Sorry for the poor english.

On 95 can the car act like this or can a maf be the issue?

Act like that, mine felt sluggish and s**t tbh.

Disconnect the maf and go for a drive, if it feels more responsive etc then the maf's dead if not then it's doubtfull the maf's at fault.

Last edited:
Could the car have gone into limp mode? Just thinking if it has had a map and I dont know? Meaning 95 below its limits and then limp aka really flat?

If so can i manually reset?

If its gone into limp mode then you should be able to turn the car off and remove the key from the ignition, place it back in then turn it on, that noramly resets limp mode.

If you still think its down on power get it on VAG COM.

where did you buy it from ? have you the advert ?

It was off pistioheads classifieds. Vag com mean I would need to take it to Audi? To you guys does this seem just a simple issue?

Not at all, you can buy vag com or ask someone in your area who has it to check your car.

Thing is mate we dont know alot about your car apart from you've got a dodgy thermostat, that can cause power problems, you dont know if your car was remapped and if it was remapped with a map that run 99 ron and not 95 ron then you will be causing the ecu to pull the timing etc.

How does the car react to a bad thermostat?

Right been looking through a huge folder of reciepts and found a superchips printout. So maybe it has or maybe not???? So this could be just a fuelling issue causing it to go straight into limp mode?

was it private sale? dealer? local garage?
Sounds like a u/s thermostat for one. as for your other problem then you should get the car scanned, either if you or someone close to you has vagcom or even drop in to audi dealer. they WERE doing free healthchecks but not sure if they still are.
imho i would do that asap so you have some ammo to hit the seller with (assuming an outstanding fault)

It was private sale but just know that there will be no come back so need to sort it myself i guess

do you have any lights on ? on the dash ?

whereabouts are you ? not the postcode ;)

How you mean jerky, like kangaroing or just doesnt seem to pull?

Just seemed hesitant and not boosting really. and didnt pull at any point up the range.

Found in another thread but kind of describes what might be happening:

By JoJo "as limp mode literally reduces the cars power output by quite a lot, like the turbo has been switched off, and it resets itself when you switch the ignition off and back on."

Thats pretty much it, maybe i will just have to up the octane, guess its worth a try?

Okay after a tank of fuel and battery off to reset ecu I now have boost not very smooth though. Could it be a weak MAF?

At this point you need to get the car checked for fault codes using VAGCOM or whatever, gonna be chasing your tail else... physical things to check also are boost pipes for potential leaks and vacuum pipes for splits etc....

First thing most people will say is the MAF as to be honest these fail quite regularly but logging using VAGCOM is the best way to determine if the MAF is indeed ********.

Is the car remapped at all?

<tuffty/>

I think it could be remapped although I am not sure but when you buy private the truth can be hard to findout. If it is a remapped car that may explain its limp mode due to an amount of 95ron fuel, but some one else said its a sign of a weak MAF??? So dont know. Also the CTS sensor maybe broken which could also be upsetting the car. Will get it read asap and see whats going on with it all. Thanks for all the help.

there is no reason for the car not to get boost on 95ron. a friend of mine with a remapped 8L a3 20vt still got 170-soemthing-bhp on 95ron at a RR day and her car was pretty ill

anyway, the car has issues. you get need to get the car on vagcom to see whats broken and it does sound like the stat is duff too

I agree, 95 ron will not make much difference at all regards the way the car will drive. Not in the way you are describing a total lack of boost.

You could have a knackered DV, boost leak, issue with turbo, MAF etc etc. Fuel is not going to make the difference you're discribing.

his sounds like its on limp mode, just like my s4 was when i brought it home the day i purchased it.

vagcom will definately point you in the right direction or just send it to some garage and get your trousers down

defo not the fuel, up until a few weeks ago i couldnt be ***** to use Vpower (until discovering a garage just around the corner from work) and ran mine mapped on morrisons 95 RON, worked no problem, Vpower makes it run a little smoother but nothing life changing as per your description

was yours actually individually mapped or a generic one put on there?

dunno if that was meant for the poster Matt - mine was mapped by CC and tweeked apparently because i was using vpower at that time before reverting to morrisons for a few months

anyone really. the different map will put the timing forward (to gain performance) and it will only go forward to that preset amount. so if its mapped for 98ron, the ecu will ****** timing (amongst other things) if 95ron is used but wont cut boost completely

if you want to be a complete geek you can log this on vagcom etc

Using lower grade fuel will make the ECU pull timing especially if a remap has had more timing added.

Timing pull can be logged using block 020 on VAGCOM

<tuffty/>

so would this have the effect of cutting my boost when revving higher? cos im not 100% but almost sure im able to attain a higher speed on a certain stretch of road i use to gauge my cars performance.....

Hi sorry for a late reply. You have been saying what I was thinking.. that fuel shouldnt of been the issue. I have booked it in at Audi for them to diagnose the problem not to fix with out my say. Before the car must of been in limp mode as it just would rev up like a 1.8, after battery on/off it boosted and felt good. But not long after it seems to have mapped itself back to not alot of boost. Something must be wrong, so will post up what they have fixed/found on wednesday. Thanks for the advise so far.:blush:

Its prob timing pull you are feeling mate... especially using 95ron with a remap...

<tuffty/>