Sky InsuranceVolks Autos

Status

Question Climate control removal

I have a 2002 S3 and need to get the ashtray so after removing the double din unit and the best efforts of 1wheelonly and me we could not sort out how the climate control is fixed.anyone removed it ?

btw thanks Lea for sorting the dodgy seat and for spending three hours in the freezing cold your a star.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Smell my finger.

Status
    I took mine out once, it was just screwed in (screws under fascia). Mines not double din so might not be the same.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status
    Its a bit fiddly but here's what I did, you need to use a slim flathead screwdriver to lever the climate control unit out, there are four clips in total, two on the top and bottom. Position the screwdriver about 3cm in from each side press down on the clip and it should pop out without causing any damage, just be careful not to scratch the top of it.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Status
    Maz,on top of the unit ?

cabriolet

Status
    it was a pleasure jase, would of been better if we got it all done in one hit though hey. lol
    i cant wait to hear results on this, what a bast##d it is !
    maz, didnt see anything like that at all, if so, how do you get to the bottom one if the ashtray is in the way, i ask this as its only the ashtray we really need to get out!! lol
    Last edited by 1wheelonly; 10th January 2010 at 15:18.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Lea, I told yer so, lmfao, its just held in place by pressure clips same as the 8P iirc, you do it from behind mate iirc (ooh uhhh), get a torch in there son, along with your elbows & Jase's face lmao

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

cabriolet

Status
    lmfao nige, i must need to go to the gym ! my little arms werent enough. lol
    jase, did we or did we not pull and push it like hell ? any more force would of deffo broke something !

the torch jase had wasnt the best but we couldnt see anything holding it, which does emplie that it pops out, but seriously it wouldnt budge, the whole dash was flexing !
    me and jase were more like laurel and hardy ! lol

whilst everyone is taking the pee out of us,lol, could anyone enlighten us on the ashtray removal, does the climate have to come out ?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes I believe it has to come out & there are maybe fixings for the ashtray hidden by the climate, elsawin not installed atm, but when is I will check again & usually its simple, but Laurel & Hardy always did things the hard way............................................... ............

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    did we or did we not pull and push it like hell ? any more force would of deffo broke something !
    yep it would of snapped deffo
    BTW my jaws aching a bit

cabriolet

Status
    see nige ! jase got in the way of the forces of removal and took one on the chin ( i am sorry jase lol )
    then the seat removal got a bit complexed so i trashed his heater vent ( again jase deeply sorry, i had to VENT some steam lol )

anyway, i repaired the vent and jase got some ice and the seat repair went fine but that bloody climate wouldnt budge, we looked at drawings but they only showed single din

Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Maz,on top of the unit ?
    Yes, I vaguely remember using a 2nd screwdriver to lever the bottom clip out at the same time otherwise it wont budge. Good luck with it, sounds like you guys need it lol.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    see nige ! jase got in the way of the forces of removal and took one on the chin ( i am sorry jase lol )
    then the seat removal got a bit complexed so i trashed his heater vent ( again jase deeply sorry, i had to VENT some steam lol )

anyway, i repaired the vent and jase got some ice and the seat repair went fine but that bloody climate wouldnt budge, we looked at drawings but they only showed single din
    lmfao he's a big unit so gets in everyone's way huh....................................

Yes lets leave seat removal story out of this huh Jase, lmfao, heater vent aswell, feck me what were you boys doing.

It definitely pops out as per Maz advised, just presure clips mate, I found on the 8P if you release the top ones 1st then the bottom ones dont have so much pressure on & it pops out easier, but you may have to release the top & hold it outwards then put some pressure on 1 of the bottom ones to release there as well, I know the 8P can also be a bar steward at times but should come out without dash removal.............................