Retrofit cruise control on an S3

svensktoppen

Reaction score
Has anyone done this on an 8L model (1999)?

Can get the stalks, etc., from Audi, but I was wondering what ECU programming is involved?

i belive you need the stalk and lower panel to fit it, and just vag com coding relitively simple

You don't need the lower panel mate. all you need is the stalk and the looms. They can be bought off ebay as a kit from this link here which is what i used.

If you have access to vagcom the coding is really easy. that would probably be your best/cheapest option, otherwise audi could do it for you but bet there would be a price.

Last edited:
i think awesome gti were doing a deal on these for like £100

Don't forget the clutch switch if it is missing from yours. There is a big myth on here that it is some sort of speed sensor, but the switch is to deactivate cruise when you push the clutch, so as to avoid the inevitable over reving

yeah definately! also, even if it is fitted you should check it on vagcom if you have access to it.
Once my cruise was installed and coded it wouldn't work. turned out to be the clutch switch hadn't been properly adjusted when the pedal was replaced.
It is easy to do. just remove the switch from the bracket, gently pull the plunger bit out (you'll hear clicks) then reinstall it and press the clutch pedal fully down. thats it adjusted.

You don't need the lower panel mate. all you need is the stalk and the looms. They can be bought off ebay as a kit from this link here which is what i used.

If you have access to vagcom the coding is really easy. that would probably be your best/cheapest option, otherwise audi could do it for you but bet there would be a price.

ahh so thats just for us 8p owners then :p, good to know, ta

I bought the kit (stalk and looms) in March, but am still to get them fitted. They're just sitting in my room. Maybe once I get the MOT/Service in a few days, I'll find time to sort it. Or maybe I'll see if Audi will do it while the car's in.

Or maybe I'll see if Audi will do it while the car's in.

No disrespect to audi mechanics as they are great at what they do and it is not their fault but... the main dealers labour rates are pretty high in comparison. It might end up costing you a bit getting it done there.
The retrofit kit really isn't that hard to fit if you give yourself a bit of time to do it and just take it steady.

No disrespect to audi mechanics as they are great at what they do and it is not their fault but... the main dealers labour rates are pretty high in comparison. It might end up costing you a bit getting it done there.
The retrofit kit really isn't that hard to fit if you give yourself a bit of time to do it and just take it steady.

I would do it myself, apart from VAGcom, if it didn't involve removing the airbag. Not really sure I want to risk getting that wrong when I'm taking it out, or putting everything back together. I'm probably going to get some suspension work done soon (new ARBs to fit) and maybe a remap, so I can just get that garage to do the cruise at the same time... should sort of bundle the labour all into one too.

Thanks all,

Got the same info from Audi the other day - new indicator stalk (different from 8P), wiring, and reprogramming.

They did say the connector on the ECU is not always present, needs put in if not there. Has anyone had issues with this?

Thanks for the clutch switch tip, did not realise that.

One other problem for me - my car is LHD, not sure if the kit looms would fit? Are they hard to get made up?

Cheers,

Is it possible to fit cruise in this way to my 99 TDi sport?

Checked a bit more with Audi, they say they do not sell wiring for retrofitting any more. They used to, but have stopped on these older cars. Now they only sell the complete engine loom, which comes with or without cabling for cruise. So the only option is having the wiring made up.

Awesome do a complete conversion for a very reasonable price, but can only do the whole job. They make up the loom on site when they do the conversion, hence cannot sell a "kit".

So, that is pretty much it I guess. Will have to use the right foot a bit longer :)

hi mate as i said in a previous post with the link to fleabay, the kit COMES WITH STALK AND ALL REQUIRED LOOMS.
This is a good price for the parts and fitting is relatively easy.
also pretty sure the kit will fit the LHD cars as the instruction manual in the kit refers to LHD cars.

Thanks rossbrownlee, missed your first post :)

Have asked them if it will fit LHD, just in case, but you are right the instructions are actually for an LHD car.