JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    6th Gear

Status

Top Speed by an S3??

After dipping in and out of a few threads about the speeds managed in an S3...
    I wondered ( obviously done in a legal and safe place ) what was the top speed hit in an S3? and how long did it take to reach the speed?
    Ive only done a couple of track days so not realy pushed the straight line speed of my car probably only managed 120mph or something.
    Also how accurate is the Dash speedo against GPS about say 100mph?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

***** rent boy

Status
    161 mph on the GPS

6th Gear

Status
    Is the car in question heavley modded?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Status
    167mph on the GPS coming back thru Germany

Alex

Status
    Only 155 down "private road" lol. Going to remove the limiter tomorrow and try again
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon S3 View Post
    Only 155 down "private road" lol. Going to remove the limiter tomorrow and try again
    What limiter?

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    The limiter question was raised here the other day, slightly different car I know, but you get the idea...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...limited-to-155
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

4th Gear

Status
    193 GPS
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

4th Gear

Status
    Still a bit more to go!
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

Status
    crikey, nearly up there with Veyrons, F50s and SLRs, impressive.

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FazS3 View Post
    193 GPS
    Was that verified?
    Thats propper shifting.
    Im guessing in the Rs4's s3?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Status
    So not going down the big hill into South Woodham then

www.essexdriversclub.com

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    haha. it doesn't have one!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

ZoomZoom

Status
    Got to 143 on gps and had to break heavily which at them speeds let me tell you ain't fun. Would like to try again but don't think it's worth the risk
    My Much Missed :Imola Yellow S3 - Revo stage 2, SPS3, RS6 reps, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Cupra R splitter, Brembo's, 323mm EBC Turbo Grooved Discs, Ferrodo DS2500 Pads, Forge DV, Forge FMIC, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, Sachs Clutch, Green Cotton Dynatwist induction kit, 3" Downpipe, sports cat, Milltek cat back, Bilstein B8's, KW rear adjustable tie bars Whiteline Adjustable ARB's, Eibach Springs, Powerflex Bushes, Bose Concert System

Now : Cupra R 225

Status
    i touched 150 on the GPS 5 up in Germany on the way to the MS Kart centre from the ring, chasing a mate in an LCR.

I've had the speedo a fraction higher than it was then whilst on my own, but not a huge amount.

I of course have a lowly A3
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    So not going down the big hill into South Woodham then
    Haha no not quite.
    When going the other way however, go round the two sharp bends then up the hill and see what speed you can get as you pass the sign on the left just before the top of the hill. Think my best is 76mph, that's also without having 4wd.
    I don't tend to go that way really anyway, I normally go the fun way creephedge lane I think it's called.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

Status
    Haha no not quite.
    When going the other way however, go round the two sharp bends then up the hill and see what speed you can get as you pass the sign on the left just before the top of the hill. Think my best is 76mph, that's also without having 4wd.
    I don't tend to go that way really anyway, I normally go the fun way creephedge lane I think it's called.
    Creephedge lane...I've come a cropper down there a couple of times, was in an overturned minibus once there too, stupid school teacher though he was a rally driver!

I'll have to keep my eye for you, get my car next week so if you see a grey 59 plate flash you know who it is!

Incidently, are you popping along to the A3 meet at Lakeside on the 31st, there's a sticky thread for it in the 8P section.

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Haha no not quite.
    Creephedge lane...I've come a cropper down there a couple of times, was in an overturned minibus once there too, stupid school teacher though he was a rally driver!

I'll have to keep my eye for you, get my car next week so if you see a grey 59 plate flash you know who it is!

Incidently, are you popping along to the A3 meet at Lakeside on the 31st, there's a sticky thread for it in the 8P section.

www.essexdriversclub.com

Alex

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post

Omg, how fast was he going, I bet that was an interesting experience.

Ok yeh I'll look out for you, I'll probably do what I normally do and think who's that, why's he flashing me, is something hanging off my car, are there police ahead, is it because he doesn't like how fast I'm going or because I've got my fogs on, oh no it's so n so, Hi, oh too late he's gone past already. Look out for my hazards to come on lol.

Yeh I might do, It's a sunday so I'll have football till 12 depending on weather and fixtures then having a roast with my gf. If I go, don't think I'll get there for 1, how long will everyone be there for?
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

2nd Gear

Status
    If you see me flashing you, its definately because you've got your fogs on lol

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GTR View Post
    If you see me flashing you, its definately because you've got your fogs on lol
    I've recently taken this to heart too in a big way. People driving with their front fogs on for NO good reason, all must die. it's the most annoying thing in the world, especially when they're behind you!

Alex

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    all must die.
    A bit harsh lol.
    I don't generally turn them on, when they are on they're not bright enough to actually blind anyone, also as the car is lowered so they are too low to affect anyone.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

Howdy

Status
    Beanoir, is that the Grim Reaper from the Mint Sauce cartoon in your avatar? looks like it to me.
    +1 if so!
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine are because my light switch is broke can't turn them off o wel may be are die from crashing in to your car lol

2nd Gear

Status
    Only once in thss country have i ever had the need to put my rear fogs on and that was because you couldn't see past the end of the bonnet as the fog was so thick.

They are dangerous in my opinion and even more so when used incorrecty.

Finally, for all the people that put them on in the rain,snow etc, the answer is pretty much in the name "FOG LIGHTS!!!" not mist lights, not because u went thru a patch of fog 100 yards long, they are for when the fog reduces visibility to less than 100yards!! rant over lol

Status
    A bit harsh .
    I don't think so :P it's truly, VERY annoying, and really distracting for people infront of you. Especially in an S3 with HID's, they provide more than enough light without the need for chavvy fogs.

Only once in thss country have i ever had the need to put my rear fogs on and that was because you couldn't see past the end of the bonnet as the fog was so thick.

Finally, for all the people that put them on in the rain,snow etc, the answer is pretty much in the name "FOG LIGHTS!!!" not mist lights, not because u went thru a patch of fog 100 yards long, they are for when the fog reduces visibility to less than 100yards!! rant over lol

I agree 100% Mike

6th Gear

Status
    Just because im "not a nice person" i will put mine on next time i see another S3
    See if i can get the finger from any of you

Recently after having my bumper off to fit my front mount, i noticed they had misted up inside slightly so had them on for a while to dry them out. To me that was a good enough reason
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Don't they call them 'driving lights' these days?

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2nd Gear

Status
    Front i can just about handle as its only the driver who looks like a prick, its the rear ones that really get me - Wound me up no end in having to buy an external one for my skyline for its MOT!!

Alex

Status
    its the rear ones that really get me
    I agree with you on that.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

5th Gear

Status

I assume you're aware that fog lights are for helping other drivers to see you. They are not just for fog, they are for reduced visibility. So if its absolutely belting it down or misty (fog and mist are very similar) you can be allowed them on. Rear fogs are annoying as most rear lights are bright enough unless it is very bad visibility and people, even in fog, aren't clever enough to think to switch them off when a car is directly behind!
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

6th Gear

Status
    Front i can just about handle as its only the driver who looks like a prick, its the rear ones that really get me - Wound me up no end in having to buy an external one for my skyline for its MOT!!
    I think the hate for this is a tad ott maybe?
    Rear ones on in unfoggy weather is silly and can be dangerous so i understand that completely but the fronts are sat low and dont give much of a glair?
    I personaly use my front "fogs" to light up the edges of a country road when out late at night or remote area. They are better at that than actualy helping in fog.

There are ways around fitting an external fog on an import car.
    We have a R32 thats an import but we dont have the dreaded bolt on
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1500 View Post
    Beanoir, is that the Grim Reaper from the Mint Sauce cartoon in your avatar? looks like it to me.
    +1 if so!
    Sure is mate!!

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1500 View Post
    +1 if so!
    Sure is mate!!

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Omg, how fast was he going, I bet that was an interesting experience.

Ok yeh I'll look out for you, I'll probably do what I normally do and think who's that, why's he flashing me, is something hanging off my car, are there police ahead, is it because he doesn't like how fast I'm going or because I've got my fogs on, oh no it's so n so, Hi, oh too late he's gone past already. Look out for my hazards to come on lol.

Yeh I might do, It's a sunday so I'll have football till 12 depending on weather and fixtures then having a roast with my gf. If I go, don't think I'll get there for 1, how long will everyone be there for?

Well the meet is on for 2pm, so it's up to you, but the more the merrier as they say. Stick your name on the list on the thread if you're up for it mate!

www.essexdriversclub.com

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Fog lights front or rear annoy the hell out of me when used in normal conditions, I guess that would include using them to "light up the edges of a country road" lol.

I used my front fogs for the first time the other day and that was actually in the heaviest snow shower Ive even driven in. My headlights were getting covered in snow so used the foglights to see the road more clearly.

Theres an old blue fiesta that drives past me every day with aftermarket hid's and because its old and sh*t the pattern is on the headlight lense and therefor bleeds light everywhere apart from the road surface. Not only that he insists on driving with his again aftermark fog lights on constantly. I feel the need to ram him off the road everytime I see him.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MintyS3 View Post
    Fog lights front or rear annoy the hell out of me when used in normal conditions, I guess that would include using them to "light up the edges of a country road" lol.

I used my front fogs for the first time the other day and that was actually in the heaviest snow shower Ive even driven in. My headlights were getting covered in snow so used the foglights to see the road more clearly.

Theres an old blue fiesta that drives past me every day with aftermarket hid's and because its old and sh*t the pattern is on the headlight lense and therefor bleeds light everywhere apart from the road surface. Not only that he insists on driving with his again aftermark fog lights on constantly. I feel the need to ram him off the road everytime I see him.
    But it wasnt foggy !
    Naughty boy/chav.
    When i do it its where there are very few if any other cars or street lights.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    got to admit since when i started driving...... if i see someone with their fogs on in daylight/summer or at an equally pointless time..... my fogs come on along with my main beam, luckily the S3 has a decent main beam which helps annoy these idiots, the prefacelift A3 had crap lights and so was less effective

go on then chaps, hit me with how dangerous i am being
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    go on then chaps, hit me with how dangerous i am being

No mate, I think thats fine. Fog lights are what they say they are, should be used in fog only. I'll say that if you are driving along a dark quiet country road and you feel the need to switch them on then fine, as long us you switch them off when you see cars approaching in the same way as your high beam.

Either way, how do fog lights affect the top speed on an S3....?

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    It has wondered a bit off topic.
    I just wondered about the top speed.
    Gearing and aero dynamics play a large part in this along with over all engine power.
    I remember top gear saying that once you get to a certain speed alot more power is needed to get any faster.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3