Top Speed by an S3??

S3 Paul

Reaction score
After dipping in and out of a few threads about the speeds managed in an S3...
I wondered ( obviously done in a legal and safe place ) what was the top speed hit in an S3? and how long did it take to reach the speed?
Ive only done a couple of track days so not realy pushed the straight line speed of my car probably only managed 120mph or something.
Also how accurate is the Dash speedo against GPS about say 100mph?

161 mph on the GPS
2ccqxs1.jpg

Is the car in question heavley modded?

Still a bit more to go!

Got to 143 on gps and had to break heavily which at them speeds let me tell you ain't fun. Would like to try again but don't think it's worth the risk

i touched 150 on the GPS 5 up in Germany on the way to the MS Kart centre from the ring, chasing a mate in an LCR.

I've had the speedo a fraction higher than it was then whilst on my own, but not a huge amount.

I of course have a lowly A3 :(

So not going down the big hill into South Woodham then ;)

Haha no not quite.
When going the other way however, go round the two sharp bends then up the hill and see what speed you can get as you pass the sign on the left just before the top of the hill. Think my best is 76mph, that's also without having 4wd.
I don't tend to go that way really anyway, I normally go the fun way ;) creephedge lane I think it's called.

Haha no not quite.
When going the other way however, go round the two sharp bends then up the hill and see what speed you can get as you pass the sign on the left just before the top of the hill. Think my best is 76mph, that's also without having 4wd.
I don't tend to go that way really anyway, I normally go the fun way ;) creephedge lane I think it's called.

Creephedge lane...I've come a cropper down there a couple of times, was in an overturned minibus once there too, stupid school teacher though he was a rally driver!

I'll have to keep my eye for you, get my car next week so if you see a grey 59 plate flash you know who it is!

Incidently, are you popping along to the A3 meet at Lakeside on the 31st, there's a sticky thread for it in the 8P section.

Haha no not quite.

Creephedge lane...I've come a cropper down there a couple of times, was in an overturned minibus once there too, stupid school teacher though he was a rally driver!

I'll have to keep my eye for you, get my car next week so if you see a grey 59 plate flash you know who it is!

Incidently, are you popping along to the A3 meet at Lakeside on the 31st, there's a sticky thread for it in the 8P section.

Omg, how fast was he going, I bet that was an interesting experience.

Ok yeh I'll look out for you, I'll probably do what I normally do and think who's that, why's he flashing me, is something hanging off my car, are there police ahead, is it because he doesn't like how fast I'm going or because I've got my fogs on, oh no it's so n so, Hi, oh too late he's gone past already. Look out for my hazards to come on lol.

Yeh I might do, It's a sunday so I'll have football till 12 depending on weather and fixtures then having a roast with my gf. If I go, don't think I'll get there for 1, how long will everyone be there for?

If you see me flashing you, its definately because you've got your fogs on lol

I've recently taken this to heart too in a big way. People driving with their front fogs on for NO good reason, all must die. it's the most annoying thing in the world, especially when they're behind you!

Mine are because my light switch is broke can't turn them off o wel may be are die from crashing in to your car lol

Only once in thss country have i ever had the need to put my rear fogs on and that was because you couldn't see past the end of the bonnet as the fog was so thick.

They are dangerous in my opinion and even more so when used incorrecty.

Finally, for all the people that put them on in the rain,snow etc, the answer is pretty much in the name "FOG LIGHTS!!!" not mist lights, not because u went thru a patch of fog 100 yards long, they are for when the fog reduces visibility to less than 100yards!! rant over lol

A bit harsh .

I don't think so :p it's truly, VERY annoying, and really distracting for people infront of you. Especially in an S3 with HID's, they provide more than enough light without the need for chavvy fogs.

Only once in thss country have i ever had the need to put my rear fogs on and that was because you couldn't see past the end of the bonnet as the fog was so thick.

Finally, for all the people that put them on in the rain,snow etc, the answer is pretty much in the name "FOG LIGHTS!!!" not mist lights, not because u went thru a patch of fog 100 yards long, they are for when the fog reduces visibility to less than 100yards!! rant over lol

I agree 100% Mike

Just because im "not a nice person" i will put mine on next time i see another S3
See if i can get the finger from any of you

Recently after having my bumper off to fit my front mount, i noticed they had misted up inside slightly so had them on for a while to dry them out. To me that was a good enough reason :p

Front i can just about handle as its only the driver who looks like a *****, its the rear ones that really get me - Wound me up no end in having to buy an external one for my skyline for its MOT!!

I assume you're aware that fog lights are for helping other drivers to see you. They are not just for fog, they are for reduced visibility. So if its absolutely belting it down or misty (fog and mist are very similar) you can be allowed them on. Rear fogs are annoying as most rear lights are bright enough unless it is very bad visibility and people, even in fog, aren't clever enough to think to switch them off when a car is directly behind!

Front i can just about handle as its only the driver who looks like a *****, its the rear ones that really get me - Wound me up no end in having to buy an external one for my skyline for its MOT!!

I think the hate for this is a tad ott maybe?
Rear ones on in unfoggy weather is silly and can be dangerous so i understand that completely but the fronts are sat low and dont give much of a glair?
I personaly use my front "fogs" to light up the edges of a country road when out late at night or remote area. They are better at that than actualy helping in fog.

There are ways around fitting an external fog on an import car.
We have a R32 thats an import but we dont have the dreaded bolt on

Omg, how fast was he going, I bet that was an interesting experience.

Ok yeh I'll look out for you, I'll probably do what I normally do and think who's that, why's he flashing me, is something hanging off my car, are there police ahead, is it because he doesn't like how fast I'm going or because I've got my fogs on, oh no it's so n so, Hi, oh too late he's gone past already. Look out for my hazards to come on lol.

Yeh I might do, It's a sunday so I'll have football till 12 depending on weather and fixtures then having a roast with my gf. If I go, don't think I'll get there for 1, how long will everyone be there for?

Well the meet is on for 2pm, so it's up to you, but the more the merrier as they say. Stick your name on the list on the thread if you're up for it mate!

Fog lights front or rear annoy the hell out of me when used in normal conditions, I guess that would include using them to "light up the edges of a country road" lol.

I used my front fogs for the first time the other day and that was actually in the heaviest snow shower Ive even driven in. My headlights were getting covered in snow so used the foglights to see the road more clearly.

Theres an old blue fiesta that drives past me every day with aftermarket hid's and because its old and sh*t the pattern is on the headlight lense and therefor bleeds light everywhere apart from the road surface. Not only that he insists on driving with his again aftermark fog lights on constantly. I feel the need to ram him off the road everytime I see him.

Fog lights front or rear annoy the hell out of me when used in normal conditions, I guess that would include using them to "light up the edges of a country road" lol.

I used my front fogs for the first time the other day and that was actually in the heaviest snow shower Ive even driven in. My headlights were getting covered in snow so used the foglights to see the road more clearly.

Theres an old blue fiesta that drives past me every day with aftermarket hid's and because its old and sh*t the pattern is on the headlight lense and therefor bleeds light everywhere apart from the road surface. Not only that he insists on driving with his again aftermark fog lights on constantly. I feel the need to ram him off the road everytime I see him.

But it wasnt foggy !
Naughty boy/chav.
When i do it its where there are very few if any other cars or street lights.

got to admit since when i started driving...... if i see someone with their fogs on in daylight/summer or at an equally pointless time..... my fogs come on along with my main beam, luckily the S3 has a decent main beam which helps annoy these idiots, the prefacelift A3 had crap lights and so was less effective

go on then chaps, hit me with how dangerous i am being :)

go on then chaps, hit me with how dangerous i am being :)

No mate, I think thats fine. Fog lights are what they say they are, should be used in fog only. I'll say that if you are driving along a dark quiet country road and you feel the need to switch them on then fine, as long us you switch them off when you see cars approaching in the same way as your high beam.

Either way, how do fog lights affect the top speed on an S3....?

It has wondered a bit off topic.
I just wondered about the top speed.
Gearing and aero dynamics play a large part in this along with over all engine power.
I remember top gear saying that once you get to a certain speed alot more power is needed to get any faster.