Have I an alternator problem ? (video)

loads of views yet no replys? as you can tell by the video the car starts sloppy and all rev and petrol counters work up untill the heating or windows are operated

whats the best way to check the alternator? using a voltmeter? or the best way to see whats wrong

check your earths

a multimeter will show a bad alternator, measure voltage before starting and then start car, the voltage at the batt should go up to around 14 ish volts. If it does the alternator is 99% working fine.

nice one cheers bud, one more thing. do i check the wire from the alternator to the battery yer?

check your earths

a multimeter will show a bad alternator, measure voltage before starting and then start car, the voltage at the batt should go up to around 14 ish volts. If it does the alternator is 99% working fine.

nice one cheers also is the earths or the alternator the most likey course of this? just so i can shorten it down and concentrate on that cheers

Check volts at the batt, however IMHO there is no way for alt output to have a bearing on this at all. It will more likely be an earth in the car, probably under the knee bolster or similar

nice one cheers bud, one more thing. do i check the wire from the alternator to the battery yer?

Think you just connect the black to earth and red to live and see what happens with the light show lol Mark's (byzan A4) more of an expert than me

Check volts at the batt, however IMHO there is no way for alt output to have a bearing on this at all. It will more likely be an earth in the car, probably under the knee bolster or similar

how and where would i check the earth and if it is what then would i do? cheers appreciate this alot

Agree with you chief! The dodgy earth could be under the steering wheel trim

another quick thing. how would the earth all of a sudden become a problem?

It's a process of elimination with electrics, when you put any heating device on your asking for alot of voltage, is the car actually going off when you put the heating on full?

well the first time it done this was when i was driving along the motorway and i pulled over and turnded the engine of and it wouldnt start again it was like a had a flat battery. but to answer your question whilst just the engine is running and the heating fully up the engine is not cutting out now just the dash goin and also the interior light flickering.

well the first time it done this was when i was driving along the motorway and i pulled over and turnded the engine of and it wouldnt start again it was like a had a flat battery. but to answer your question whilst just the engine is running and the heating fully up the engine is not cutting out now just the dash goin and also the interior light flickering.

Its a bad earth :)

so what am i to do about the earth then? where would it be and mainly how do you fix it?

I'm not sure which earth it'll be you need to check, just to be on the safe side, just check if your earth on the battery is secure and not loose, could be an easy fix

ill have a look at my batterys earth in the morning, so best thing probs would be to get it looked over then yer?

also what ive just thought if it was my alternator or battery the battery light would pop up on the trip computer?

*** just get it tested, KWik fit will do it for free, it could be the voltage regulator within the alternator. There's no point in hunting for a bad earth that might not even be there, it could even be a dry cell in the battery