Just how fast are the Subaru Sti's..

noodle

Reaction score
Had a bit of 'red mist' the other day, on the way into work with an Sti.

Slowed down as the car in front of me was turning right, and as I'd had a furking vauxhall people wagon sitting right on my tail for the last 1/2 mile, thought I'd pull off swiftly, leaving him behind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This was fine until I realised an Sti was trying to pass the wagon and me!. As I'd had the lead, and a good pull away from a near stop, he pulled in behind. At this point I had no intention of what happend next..

It frustrates me when other road users take extreme measures to get passed, so when he started to overtake, approaching a bend, I thought ****** this, lets have some fun.

I kept up for a while but this fella was relly not going to be followed and he lost me when his bold overtaking left me sitting behind a line of traffic with cars, once again, turning right.

I saw him again this morning but wasn't going to get into another rally situation, so left him to it, still overtaking like a ****** looney!

So the question is, would I have stood any chance in my standard S3 225 Bhp, given better traffic conditions??

I'm sure this is only going to add to my need for an Oettinger re-map /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
noodle said:
Had a bit of 'red mist' the other day, on the way into work with an Sti.

Slowed down as the car in front of me was turning right, and as I'd had a furking vauxhall people wagon sitting right on my tail for the last 1/2 mile, thought I'd pull off swiftly, leaving him behind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This was fine until I realised an Sti was trying to pass the wagon and me!. As I'd had the lead, and a good pull away from a near stop, he pulled in behind. At this point I had no intention of what happend next..

It frustrates me when other road users take extreme measures to get passed, so when he started to overtake, approaching a bend, I thought ****** this, lets have some fun.

I kept up for a while but this fella was relly not going to be followed and he lost me when his bold overtaking left me sitting behind a line of traffic with cars, once again, turning right.

I saw him again this morning but wasn't going to get into another rally situation, so left him to it, still overtaking like a ****** looney!

So the question is, would I have stood any chance in my standard S3 225 Bhp, given better traffic conditions??

I'm sure this is only going to add to my need for an Oettinger re-map /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, not a chance! They are a fair bit quicker!

Rich

265 bhp standard or 305 bhp with the Prodrive upgrade (oh and they handle better than the stock S3)

Dunc

That's kinda what I was thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What about after a re-map V's Std Sti, surely that's going to be a close one??

i know handling is awesome, once they get going they are pretty quick, but if you have a better longer power band you'll get a head for a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Had some idiot in a BMW X5 do similar stupid overtakes past me and other cars over white lines (and I wasn't hanging about).

Figure it's best to keep back from these folk and let them have their own accident. As people say, I don't think you'd stay with him unless you were chipped and has chassis mods, assuming similar driver ability.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sti8's without PPP are no quicker than a chipped S3.

both have similar power and similar weight, in a straight line theres nothing in it. Although im pretty sure they'd be quicker off the line, but say from 30+ theres nothing in it.

I had a bit of an encounter with an older Sti about 2 weeks ago it was P reg so is that Sti5 or 6, just a straight sprint from about 50, and he couldnt get past but i couldnt leave the ****** either !!!

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
sti8 +ppp will be faster straight line than any s3 with a K04 turbo regardless of modifications.

a well sorted s3 chassis will provide a cornering advantage on all but the bumpiest of roads and track - an sti8 is relatively underdteer prone, roll prone and underdamped. a few careful mods will negate the s3 advantage.

i have two friends with sti8's...

[/ QUOTE ]

and of course a well sorted STI chassis will provide the advantage again, would it not?

I have driven a STI 8 PPP and compared to my S3 (at the time it was on standard suspension) it handled much better

Dunc

I have had several races with Subs; Two of my mates had them, a RB5 and a Turbo2000 (with Grp A zaust) and to be honest, Theres nothing in it. I am sure, if I took my Bling rims off I'd horse by them. But I wont and I'm not gonna, so I cant!

Surprized, the S3 can be made to handle better all the same? Even with the suspension mods?

[ QUOTE ]
berts S3 said:
Noodle, the scooby didnt have a no. plate that looked like it said crime or something like that did it with blacked out windows,its just that when i rang my insurance to find out how much extra it would cost for when i get my remap done next week that fella said he had a bit of a do with an s3 the other day,then again he could have been talking out of his ar5e.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it looked pretty standard. What did this fella say?

No, you can get a PPP on the WRX which takes it to 265BHP. Its £1500 and is a new exhaust system and re-map but with a subaru warranty. The torque figure is higher than the standard STI though because the map is slightly differenrt than the STI factory map.

If you put a PPP on an STI it takes the power from 265 BHP to 305 BHP again for £1500 and you get a nice loud exhaust too.

You can map a WRX to 305 too but you wont get a warranty as subaru don't approve this as the STI has stronger engine components and is identifiable by the red powder coated inlet manifolds.

Or you could import a new STi from Japan with all the gadgets 50kg lighter and over 320bhp for less than the cost of a standard STi over here

Yeah, with no underseal, security or warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My mate has a 52 plate WRX STI type UK, with the Prodrive upgrade, wheels, brakes etc, pushing 300bhp and 0-60 in about 4.8 secs

Yeah, Thats a STI with the PPP branded as STI type uk's - is it the bug eyed one?

Buy it through Litchfield and you get all the warranty, underseal etc sorted for you.

The JDM (Jap domestic machine) is better than the ones we get in the UK...

Dunc

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif So the JDM Sti can be bought for £19k? That is good!

My mate has got a 2 door 1998 Japanese STI Type-R. Got to say its easily the nicest Impreza I have seen.

Also pushing out some serious power now, its in the UK at the moment, but should be back here (Jersey) fairly soon. The dyno measured it at 595bhp-621ft/lb's. Thats going to get him up to the speed limit of 40 over here pretty quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MattT said:
Thats going to get him up to the speed limit of 40 over here pretty quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone actually pay any attention to that whatsoever?

Geez I think id get a suped up golf buggy like the one off weekend at bernies.

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
Geez I think id get a suped up golf buggy like the one off weekend at bernies.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

They had something similar to that over here, it was called the mini moke. Probably quite good for the island, but they didn't really catch on. There are so many porsche's/ferrari's/TVR's etc over here its funny that the speed limit is only 40!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Thats a STI with the PPP branded as STI type uk's - is it the bug eyed one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep it is the bug eyed one, it os for sale at £16,500

You're lucky Matt,

30 miles north of you in Guernsey our speed limit tops out at 35mph! Worth pointing out that our CI speed limits are for the "main" roads. the other roads are 25MPH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Quckest I've been over here's around 115mph. 3 1/2 times the speed limit. I think they'd of hung me if i'd have been caught!!!(must point out that was when I was young(er) and stupid(er) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
MattT said:
My mate has got a 2 door 1998 Japanese STI Type-R. Got to say its easily the nicest Impreza I have seen.

Also pushing out some serious power now, its in the UK at the moment, but should be back here (Jersey) fairly soon. The dyno measured it at 595bhp-621ft/lb's. Thats going to get him up to the speed limit of 40 over here pretty quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the praise, money is in this post
moneybag-small.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For people interested in seeing the engine dyno graph and what my scooby looks like, take a look here by clicking here.

And for anyone living in the Channel Islands or popping over to visit, come register and say hello on The Channel Islands Online Community /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif