Coil Packs?? Help

Add7

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where the coils packs are and what they are please?

I read somewhere that this could make your idle a little eratic,

Just want to check them!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where the coils packs are and what they are please?

I read somewhere that this could make your idle a little eratic,

Just want to check them!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you take the engine cover off, you will see 4 black blocks. These are the coil packs. Most cars use a single coil pack with HT leads to the spark plugs... Audi use 1 coil pack per cylinder and dont use HT leads. If its gone, you will be firing on 3 cylinders not 4 and will be very apparent... The earlier cars never really had problems with the coilpacks...seems that as time went on, they got less reliable.

Rich

Rich

When my coilpack's went twice it seemed ok at idle was just when i got going a wet fart could have gone faster first time it just went the second time i could feel it missing on the od ocasion so got stealers to replaice them all as i found they only did one the first time,new versions havent missed a beat touch wood.

how much are they by any chance?

Are they easy to fit myself?

Basic knowledge

I was told they only fixed the coil pack problem march 2003 ish. So any pack made before then you take a gamble with.

NEVER drive your car if you suspect the coil is shot! the coil will not ignite the fuel in the cylinder and this fuel will be pulled through the CAT and, in time will ruin your CAT.

is it really noticable if the pack has gone?

when a coil pack is gone audis sound more like subarus!!!

cats have recently started going, they log faults about the cat having low flow, we believe this is all due to the coil pack failures!

they have been carefull not to call it a recall, it is called a workshop campaign, i dont know why they have changed the name but means the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So they will do them if the car goes in for something else but will not contact you are say 'Hey we need to check and possibly change your coil packs under warranty' Sounds about right.

[ QUOTE ]
j4jon said:
My 1.8T went in for it's second AVS today at Newbury Audi, and when I dropped it off they said there was a recall on coil packs and if mine hadn't been changed already they would change them all under warranty. The car is 3 1/2 years old and has no Audi warranty left on it but they changed all 4 anyway. Maybe worth calling a stealer and seeing if they can check yours and change them if necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 of mine went 2 days after I bought my car, it felt like it was running on 2 cylinders had no power and spluttered, luckily got them replaced under warranty