JMB RetrofitsChris Nott

Thread: 155mph Limit

1st Gear

Status

155mph Limit

Hey,

I managed to get my S3 to its 155mph limit the other week on a private road!! Is there anyway to remove this limit? Does/should a remap help?

Cheers,
    Chris
    2001 S3 - Ming Blue, Bose + AndyMac Stealth Sub + XCarlink iPod Interface with Bluetooth, Forge 007 (Yellow Spring), Green Cotton Panel Filter, Angel Tuning Remap, Milltek Cat-Back Resonated, Parking Sensors & Full Black Leather Nappa Recaros with Piano Black Trim.

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    that's not a limiter mate, that's as fast as it'l ever go!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

1st Gear

Status
    No it was defo a limiter!! It sat perfect at 155mph on the dials and felt like it had at least another 5-10mph more in at plus few thousand revs
    2001 S3 - Ming Blue, Bose + AndyMac Stealth Sub + XCarlink iPod Interface with Bluetooth, Forge 007 (Yellow Spring), Green Cotton Panel Filter, Angel Tuning Remap, Milltek Cat-Back Resonated, Parking Sensors & Full Black Leather Nappa Recaros with Piano Black Trim.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Fairly sure there is no limiter as the book speed for an S3 is 149mph iirc... had mine off the clock on a private road before now

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

needs to scratch the itch

Status
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure the max speed of an 8L S3 is something like 148mph and they are'nt limited. 155 seems pretty high to me, have you had the speed confirmed with something like a sat nav?

Status
    Tufty, off the clock before bt?

5th Gear

Status
    i wouldnt of thought it would be limited, if it was im sure a remap would remove it, but is it worth it for those few extra miles an hour than you can rarely achieve?

i squeezed 168mph out of mine before i started running out of runway and shat my pants :D

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    i squeezed 168mph out of mine
    With what mods?

5th Gear

Status
    bt mate

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Somebody worked out the exact top speed an S3 could go with the standard gear box going on the gear ratios. 6th gear will only let you go so fast.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wibble111 View Post
    Tufty, off the clock before bt?
    Nah, after

To be fair though the engine wasn't running properly at the time... will do a proper test again once she is all sorted

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Its just strange how i managed to get mine to sit exactly on 155 at the dials (agree it wont be actual 155mph) and it wouldnt move any further yet it had plenty of revs left and wasnt fluctuating at all?! Was as if it hit a limiter.

Smell my finger.

Status
    If you hit a limiter then it wouldnt be smooth and wouldnt sit bang on a certain speed and rpm.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    If you hit a limiter then it wouldnt be smooth and wouldnt sit bang on a certain speed and rpm.
    Why wouldnt it be smooth? Its nowhere near bouncing off the rev limiter.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g10chy View Post
    Its just strange how i managed to get mine to sit exactly on 155 at the dials (agree it wont be actual 155mph) and it wouldnt move any further yet it had plenty of revs left and wasnt fluctuating at all?! Was as if it hit a limiter.
    it might have had revs left but not sufficient torque to keep pushing the air out of the way

It will be smooth when its out of puff.. the limiter would be a splutter/cough which you would notice

dont ask me how I know
    6th gear, 8200rpm on a *private* autobahn
    Last edited by badger5; 6th January 2010 at 16:45.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g10chy View Post
    Why wouldnt it be smooth? Its nowhere near bouncing off the rev limiter.
    Then as Bill has said its ran out of puff. The limiter will cut the power so you'll have some fluttering on the revs when it reaches max, much like it does when you go all the way through the red line in say, 2nd gear but not as severe.

If you're car wasnt doing any of that then it hasnt got a limiter and it had just run out of puff to make it go any quicker.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    to be honest, 155 clock speed sounds about right really.....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yep, because it'll be about 140mph actual.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yes there is a limiter on the S3 set at 155... If you hook up vcds (VAG-Com) it will now have a code stored as speed limiter hit.

It can be turned of within the software so you might as well have it remapped at the sametime.

Only ever had one vehicle here that had the code stored in the ecu, so must have been the same private road this Audi TT driver was on. ;-)
    www.PendlePerformance.com
    Power Without limits