AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Is a stock 150hp AGU engine even worth remapping?

I mean, if you have no intention of doing any other mods, is the difference really "funner" if you are just using it as a commuter car? Will a stock AGU really get a lot more lower end grunt and acceleration and would that put a strain on the stock parts like the clutch?

Is the remapping add more to the mid range, or to the low or high ends?
    Lucky

98 red AUDI A3 Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Do it do it do it. You will be over the moon with the results
    Audi S3 2001. Black on Black. OE Sat Nav/Freeview. Bose. 18" Audi/BBS Splits. 10+16mm Spacers. KW Coilovers. Forge DV,tip and intercooler pipes. KnN Panel Filter. Oh and the essential Re-map. GONE

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Lucky, you simply would not believe just how different the AGU is when remapped. it's not a case of making your car faster, it's literally like having a whole new car! the difference really is night and day.

In standard 150bhp form, the 1.8T is really pretty slow, and has no kick to it at all. when mapped, there's so much more pull in the midrange and top end, but with no real downsides at all.

Bearing in mind the internals are much the same as the 225bhp S3 engine, there really isn't anything to worry about stress/strain wise, and you'll almost certainly get better fuel economy from it when mapped as well.

Basicly, it's a massive waste not to remap it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    I would definately go for a remap, I had 193bhp out my old A3 and it really is the best thing you could do, Money well spent...

Any Vag motor with a remap is a better car to own...
    revo'd

Neutral

Status
    Thanks, you guys are encouraging. I just have to first figure out if the turbo system is even working before dropping the $ on the remap. I'm still trying to figure out how to best DIY AGU turbo leak check and waiting for answers on other threads.

ps, any company/type of remap any better than any other in my situation which is not really going to do anything further after that (like add other HW components)
    Lucky

98 red AUDI A3 Sport

Neutral

Status
    I guess I should ask, what engine in the States best matches the AGU block for mapping purposes? You won't find ANY AGU anything here in the US.
    Lucky

98 red AUDI A3 Sport

6th Gear

Status
    arent giac big in the us?
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

Status
    Revo will be able to map it for you no problem,the website says 200 bhp and 230 torque
    locate a dealer via the site
    http://www.revotechnik.com/locateDealer/americas.aspx

Status
    what year did the Golf GTI turbo come out over there? In england, the first golt GTIs had the AGU too, then in 2000 the ARZ, followed by the AUM in late 2000. these are very different mapping wise to the AGU, as they have a drive by wire throttle, and the AUM has a map sensor (unsure about the ARZ)

Early passats and A4 1.8T's had KO3 turbo's and cable throttles, although I'm not sure how similar the maps would be, they'd surely be closer than those for the DBW engines.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reverse Gear

Status
    I was informed that the AUM engine also uses a K03S instead of the K03 turbo. Is this correct?

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    don't think so. I sold an AUM and it was KO3

Status
    the AGU and ARZ had ko3 turbo's, the AUM has a ko3S, or at least they all should do!

4th Gear

Status
    do it, and you will love it, I would say revo as well if you like a punchy kick.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

Dion

Status
    my late 2000 A3 has an AUM engine but a ko3 turbo as its only 150bhp???

Status
    how can you be sure it has a ko3 turbo? the AGU and ARZ had ko3 turbo's, and developed 150bhp, the AUM had a ko3S, and developed exactly the same 150bhp, it's just that the newer turbo is capable of developing more with the correct tunning.

Dion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    how can you be sure it has a ko3 turbo? the AGU and ARZ had ko3 turbo's, and developed 150bhp, the AUM had a ko3S, and developed exactly the same 150bhp, it's just that the newer turbo is capable of developing more with the correct tunning.
    Good point actually! the only way of knowing would be to physically go and look??? lol but i wouldnt know the diffrence btween the 2!

back to the first post - id have thought that mapping any car would make it more enjoyable to drive, especially a turbo car, go for it id say!