Volks AutosSky Insurance
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: K03s

  1. #1
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417

    K03s

    if i put a k03s on in replacement of my k03 but not get it remapped to the ko3s will it still run the same speed?

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Yeah, will make no difference. It's a spot more efficient so you may notice a bit of an increase in power and/or decrease in spool time. Is it mapped or standard?

    Anyway, if people tell you it won't ignore them! It's still a K03 at the end of the day, it's just a later model than the K03-011 which is standard. It's not like you're trying to run a IHI or Garrett!

    It'll all be lovely.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  4. #3
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    its mapped at the moment and i want to get it mapped up a bit more once i got it put on but not at the moment as i cant afford it! what other turbos would be a straight fit onto the k03 without changing to much stuff?

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  5. #4
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeeebo View Post
    its mapped at the moment and i want to get it mapped up a bit more once i got it put on but not at the moment as i cant afford it! what other turbos would be a straight fit onto the k03 without changing to much stuff?
    I guess the question is how much do you want to spend? The possibilities are endless. However these I would think can be done for less than a grand:

    K04 would be the obvious one, but then again you would want to change the rods for piece of mind to be honest, which is costly. Would need K04 manifold and downpipe, plus S3 fuel pump and injectors to make the best of it. Not that expensive when done, but then again, not that cheap either.

    K03 hybrid would bolt straight on, but they are very expensive. If you are interested then give CR Turbos a bell, they will be able to give you some idea (http://www.crturbos.co.uk/). Whilst this will be expensive, you *could* offset the cost of the hybrid turbo against what you then don't have to spend on manifolds, downpipes etc, as a hybrid will bolt straight on. You will more than likely need bigger injectors though to cope with the fuel demand. Also, a high flow exhaust manifold would be a good addition to this.

    I had a K03-052 (K03S) on my AGU engine, with a manual boost contoller set to 15.5 PSI and a REVO stage 1 map. Went like hell in the night, although putting the power down was a struggle through the front wheels, even on 18"s. Was at least 220 BHP. I'd say if you're looking to get a bit more power without the cost, then fit a K03-051/52/53/58 (the K03S series) and get R Tech to map it. NOTE: You WILL need a Forge Turbo Intake Pipe for this.....

    Assuming it is an AGU engine (you didn't say), R Tech have a special map which produces claimed 235+ BHP on a K03S. Failing that it is an AGU, you can just get your REVO map upgraded to Stage 2 for 50 quid.

    If doing that you will deffo need one of these.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AUDI-A3-A4...item5636632a68. It's a really good kit for the money.
    Last edited by Welly; 4th January 2010 at 14:58.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  6. #5
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    i have a revo stage one already im a a3 1.8t dont know what block it is though! i think as im very low on money plus dont want insrance going up much more so will probably get a k03s then possibly get a stage 2. how much worse will it make my petrol consumption though?

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  7. #6
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeeebo View Post
    i have a revo stage one already im a a3 1.8t dont know what block it is though! i think as im very low on money plus dont want insrance going up much more so will probably get a k03s then possibly get a stage 2. how much worse will it make my petrol consumption though?
    Not much dude, depends on how much you stay on the loud pedal...

    I managed to get 42.2 MPG on the motorway average over 180 miles a couple of months ago. Wind assised I grant you, but coming back I still got 35.

    You will need to know what engine code it is to make any informed decisions. No manufacturers do a stage 2 map for the AGU as it isn't drive by wire.

    Thats the quickest and easiest way to see what engine code you engine is, if it has a cable to the throttle then it is an AGU in the A3 I believe as the ABU didn't go in the A3.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  8. #7
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    so how will i tell what it is? will it say on the block anywhere?

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  9. #8
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Thats the quickest and easiest way to see what engine code you engine is, if it has a cable to the throttle then it is an AGU in the A3 I believe as the ABU didn't go in the A3.
    Also, see here http://www.blauparts.com/assets/audi...code_awm_2.jpg

    This shows you where the engine code is stamped.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeeebo View Post
    so how will i tell what it is? will it say on the block anywhere?
    Looking at the low res pic from your signature, you block is likely a AGU because the trottle cable appears to be visible...

  11. #10
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    so does that mean i cant get a stage 2?

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  12. #11
    slappy_dunbar's Avatar
    Let's Do This

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Westchester Cty, New York USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeeebo View Post
    if i put a k03s on in replacement of my k03 but not get it remapped to the ko3s will it still run the same speed?
    The K03s series has a more modern compressor wheel design and size, which it shares with the K04-001. That and the mere fact that it would be new, would translate into much more pep even without a remap. It might take the ECU a bit of time to adapt to the newer turbo's boost curve, but my guess is that you're nevertheless looking at a noticeable improvement.

  13. #12
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    does the k03s come with an intergrated manifold?

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  14. #13
    03 1.8T Sport

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    I guess the question is how much do you want to spend? The possibilities are endless. However these I would think can be done for less than a grand:

    K04 would be the obvious one, but then again you would want to change the rods for piece of mind to be honest, which is costly. Would need K04 manifold and downpipe, plus S3 fuel pump and injectors to make the best of it. Not that expensive when done, but then again, not that cheap either.

    K03 hybrid would bolt straight on, but they are very expensive. If you are interested then give CR Turbos a bell, they will be able to give you some idea (http://www.crturbos.co.uk/). Whilst this will be expensive, you *could* offset the cost of the hybrid turbo against what you then don't have to spend on manifolds, downpipes etc, as a hybrid will bolt straight on. You will more than likely need bigger injectors though to cope with the fuel demand. Also, a high flow exhaust manifold would be a good addition to this.

    I had a K03-052 (K03S) on my AGU engine, with a manual boost contoller set to 15.5 PSI and a REVO stage 1 map. Went like hell in the night, although putting the power down was a struggle through the front wheels, even on 18"s. Was at least 220 BHP. I'd say if you're looking to get a bit more power without the cost, then fit a K03-051/52/53/58 (the K03S series) and get R Tech to map it. NOTE: You WILL need a Forge Turbo Intake Pipe for this.....

    Assuming it is an AGU engine (you didn't say), R Tech have a special map which produces claimed 235+ BHP on a K03S. Failing that it is an AGU, you can just get your REVO map upgraded to Stage 2 for 50 quid.

    If doing that you will deffo need one of these.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AUDI-A3-A4...item5636632a68. It's a really good kit for the money.


    Sorry to interrupt but 235bhp out of a ko3s from R tech? How muchh? I Think i need this!
    Have these figures been proved?

  15. #14
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,583
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeeebo View Post
    does the k03s come with an intergrated manifold?
    Nope... you must have found one for a 2.0ltr FSI engine...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  16. #15
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    take it that wont fit then? i thought all k03s were the same

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  17. #16
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,583
    Does it look like this?



    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  18. #17
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    yer it does

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  19. #18
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,583
    ...then no it won't fit...

    Soz...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  20. #19
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    oh right! is there anything else i need to know about k03s's? haha i thought all of them were the same and fitted

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  21. #20
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,583
    Needs to be from a 1.8t of some description rather than anything else... you could always do what the Ibiza boys do and go K04 hybrid with a K03 fitment...

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  22. #21
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    oh right so the one from a tt wouldnt fit? does the k04 hybrid come with a k03 fitment? or is it a certain type?

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

  23. #22
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,583
    Depends on the TT, if its a Mk1 1.8 20v 180bhp then I believe it will fit but the 225bhp Mk1's and Mk2 2.0TFSI ones won't.

    A K04 Hybrid/K03 fitment is essentially a a bolt on replacement to a K03 but.... while its a bolt on replacement, you will need to change the injectors and MAF/MAF housing to S3 items, change the TIP to a K04 one, and get a replacement airfilter (cone filter or equiv) along with a suitable map. Not sure stage 2 will suffice, Bill typically does stage 3 for the ones he gets in.

    This will give you S3 power in your car. You should also consider a FMIC of some description and then a larger downpipe to get full benefit.

    Gets pricey but seem very good results from the Ibizas. Check out some of the readers rides on SCN.

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  24. #23
    zeeeebo's Avatar
    Lifes one big laugh

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    worthing
    Posts
    417
    ill prob just keep it as a k03s tbh, cant really afford the upgrade of k04 at the mo
    Last edited by zeeeebo; 5th January 2010 at 19:47.

    -AUDI A3 1.8T-
    coldside dumpvalve relocation kit/powerflow exhaust/k+n shielded air intake/ JOM coilovers/forge splitr/forge carbon fibre engine cover/soild flywheel conversion/REVO

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO