Will My Car Pass It's MOT With These Plates

S

Scraggy87

Hi peeps!

I have a personalised plate and i Just bought some new plates and fitted them the other day. Just wondering if you guys think it will pass it's MOT with them as i didn't put any spacing in the plates.

reg.jpg

IMHO dont think it will be an issue tbh, main this is the standard typeface and will not be defaced by screws etc.

TBH mate its the closest I've seen to proper dvla spec for a while albeit the gap, but dont see an issue atm in comparison to many others on the road.

Depends on the MOT tester at the end of the day, I personally can't see anything wrong with them, they are perfectly readable. On another note, I have an ill spaced plate on the front of my Passat, but a standard plate on the rear, and it's never failed an MOT with them on - touchwood.

Technically no, but then it all depends on who tests it...

Law is the gap has to be AT LEAST twice the spacing between the letters/numbers.

I know from a colleague who is involved in MOT testing that they have been asked to check number plates more stringently but I would agree that I don't think you would have any problems with that plate as it's shown.

I would fail that as it is blatantly incorrectly spaced, would take two mins to put some correct ones over the top to save hassle.

Dont think it will pass as its a show plate incorrect spacing and no postcode from whever made the plate rendering it illigal but as said depends who the tester is, but they are getting a bit more strickter with number plates as are police

The testers "bible" would fail that plate due to the spacing. TBH, it would be a testers discretion issue (btw, there are NO grey areas in testing LOL)

What i'm thinking now is to give it to my mates dad to MOT and i'm sure he will pass it with them on! :)

Blatently it's gonna be a 'dodgy' mot when u say you're going to let your mates dad MOT! Let's hope the plod don't see your post! I got a fine for illegally spaced plate and it was perfectly readable! The police take it very seriously now,especially when they have nothing better to do!:box:

Did i write that i was giving it to my mate? I wish my brother would stop hacking my ****** account and writing crap like that! :sly:

plate.jpg

I made a traffic police dude quite ****** when he pulled me over with these plates, when he asked If I had a UK driving licence I knew that german look I was going for was pretty well achieved, I then said to him that at least they look good & you can read the plate. End of the day he did not agree & I was given a warning to remove them & if I got caught again my private plate could be withdrawn by DVLA, I then removed them, lesson learned.

Ewan.

plate.jpg

I made a traffic police dude quite ****** when he pulled me over with these plates, when he asked If I had a UK driving licence I knew that german look I was going for was pretty well achieved, I then said to him that at least they look good & you can read the plate. End of the day he did not agree & I was given a warning to remove them & if I got caught again my private plate could be withdrawn by DVLA, I then removed them, lesson learned.

Ewan.

Wow, another Ewan. Same spellng as me too :thumbsup:

The long and short of it is, it shouldn't do, but probably will.

I would play safe and velcro a legal set over the top for MOT then remove them outside, it's what i used to do when i was running German style plates, back in the day

plate.jpg

Ewan.

Why on earth go to the trouble of putting a German style number plate on a RHD car.

His car his choice, albeit maybe a wrong one.

I can see why he may like the pressed plate style ok, but having D on there tbh is kinda silly dont you think, just an opinion

His car his choice, albeit maybe a wrong one.

I can see why he may like the pressed plate style ok, but having D on there tbh is kinda silly dont you think, just an opinion

Agreed. No objection to pressed plates providing they are reflective, the correct colours front and back, the correct UK typeface and spacing are used. As for putting the D on a GB car, that's just plain silly as well as being illegal. Perhaps the owner should try taking taking the car to Germany to see what the German police do about it.

Yea I was perfectly aware the plates were Illegal but then so is breaking the speed limit, fitting a de-cat pipe, drifting & various other things that many of us may be guilty of. I liked them plates & since I do what I do to please myself I'd still be rocking them if it wasn't for Mr Plods warning lol.

Ewan.

It should fail, my car failed for the plates spaced like this: http://www.david.barber.zen.co.uk/Car and cake/100_1293.JPG

I used to change them before and after the test but since the plod have pulled me twice for the incorrect spacing (with fines each time) and the DVLA have written to me telling that their policy is 3 strikes and they take the marque off you, I have now moved to correctly spaced plates.

It really pi55es me off that there are still chavs driving around near me with plates that are obviously illegal and completely unreadable, at least mine were readable and in the correct font. I'm obviously just easier to pull over and fine...being a normal tax paying citizen....

Rant over.

It should fail, my car failed for the plates spaced like this: http://www.david.barber.zen.co.uk/Car and cake/100_1293.JPG

I used to change them before and after the test but since the plod have pulled me twice for the incorrect spacing (with fines each time) and the DVLA have written to me telling that their policy is 3 strikes and they take the marque off you, I have now moved to correctly spaced plates.

It really pi55es me off that there are still chavs driving around near me with plates that are obviously illegal and completely unreadable, at least mine were readable and in the correct font. I'm obviously just easier to pull over and fine...being a normal tax paying citizen....

Rant over.

100_1293.JPG

The above is clearly spaced wrongly, and I can see why why you would be pulled over, so why not have this plate as spaced on the front and a normal plate on the rear? That's what I do with mine, and never been pulled over in 7 years!

The above is clearly spaced wrongly, and I can see why why you would be pulled over, so why not have this plate as spaced on the front and a normal plate on the rear? That's what I do with mine, and never been pulled over in 7 years!

I like your thinking.....how 'illegal' is your plate?

It might pass an MOT but they're not legal, if you run them expect to be asked to take them off.

P1000060.jpg

Mine passed with these but i've been nicked 3 times since, being legal and passing an MOT are clearly 2 different things

Lol the reactions in traffic are worth while and i've been offered 10 times what i paid for it!

My mums reaction however, was not so favourable, especially when she has borrowed it lol

Mine passed with these but i've been nicked 3 times since, being legal and passing an MOT are clearly 2 different things

Nope, not at all. In fact an MOT certificate has something to the effect of "The issue of a valid MOT certificate does not guarantee a vehicles roadworthyness"
I suppose because once it leaves the test station anything could happen to it that would mean an MOT wouldn't be issued...

Lol the reactions in traffic are worth while and i've been offered 10 times what i paid for it!

My mums reaction however, was not so favourable, especially when she has borrowed it lol

LOL, that is a genius plate dude. I love it so so much!!

I will be having my plates on my new plate spaced out a bit dodgy (when I buy it) to be honest, but meh.

Nope, not at all. In fact an MOT certificate has something to the effect of "The issue of a valid MOT certificate does not guarantee a vehicles roadworthyness"
I suppose because once it leaves the test station anything could happen to it that would mean an MOT wouldn't be issued...

Thats exactly right dude.

My mate went for his MOT the other day and it failed on 2 tyres. We swapped the wheels for some steelies I had kicking about and they retested. Then, once he had the ticket, we rolled it back out of the workshop, swapped the wheels back to the illegal ones and off he went.

The garage never said a word or batted an eyelid.

It depends how old the car is for that I believe.

New plates have to come with the postcode of where they were done, but you'll notice that mine don't have it.

Thx Welly, I love it too, I bought it originally for the skyline but seeing as that is taking so long to do it currently residing on the S3 - its definately a conversation starter when i turn up at the pub, or parties - or a church as I recently did for a christening lol