Re-build/ Upgrade

ben_turbo1

Reaction score
Website
www.rsctuning.com
Hey everyone,

Firstly happy new year.

Right looks like I need a head gasket change possibly alot more. I'm thinking if I'm going to re-build the engine then I may as well take the opportunity to upgrade some bits.

What would everyone reccommend I upgrade to give more power/ reliability? I'm mainly thinking of things that only cost a bit more than the OE parts and don't want to spend huge amounts on BT upgrades etc.

Also if there are any sponsors in the Surrey/ West Sussex area that would like to quote to do the work then feel free to contact me.

Thanks

The S3 engine is already over engineered for the amount of power it produces, it's more than capable to do a lot more. Think the only thing that might need changing are the rods but that's only if you decided to go above 400bhp as they can't handle as much torque, don't hold me on this though as I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly.

exactly what i would of said mate, engine is fully forged, the rods being the exception!

reading your sig im not sure what else you could do for relatively little money without touching the turbo to be honest, if you could find the extra cash the situation you are in is a perfect opportunity to go bt

What power level would you like?

how much money will you be planning on spending?

don't forget the valves are a weak part

If your not going BT and you plan to keep the standard internals then you could always make the engine more efficient with having the head flowed, down pipe and system, TIP and intercooler and so on

As said, valves and rods are the weakest links on 20v engines. All the rest is fine. Unless you plan to go bigger turbo though I would save your money on things like head porting etc and use it to buy a FMIC... you will get more out of it for your money. The K04 doesn't have enough puff to justify head porting IMO

<tuffty/>

Head porting is a minor tweak better suited to an already highly tuned engine with a larger frame turbo and as a bang for buck option should be last on your list.
If your head is coming out I would consider valves before porting. even without the larger turbo, poor flowing DP and exhaust can create very high exhaust temps especially when the stock turbo is cranked up to a boost it can't handle efficiently. The exhaust valves have a habit of dropping heads into your cylinder when stressed like that continually.

If you are even remotely considering a larger turbo then doing the rods while the head is off is a no brainer. set of Scat/Brute/IE rods will set you back less than £300

Ok I'm going to do some research into rods and maybe put them on my wish list.
I was half thinking as the engine will be coming out to replace the turbo with a new K04 item as the one on there now has done 96k miles, so my first question is how much is a BT set up going to cost me?

I am in the fortunate position to be a director of a company that make sports exhausts for Aston Martins/ Lamborghinis etc so am thinking I might get the factory to make me up a turbo back exhaust and maybe even get them to improve on the OE manifold if people think it would be worth it? If people are interested in a "Seriously high quality" down pipe/ sports cat etc let me know and I can get the factory to run a batch off?

Also I found a place on ebay that offer to fit a new recon engine for £1500 all in, has anyone got any experience with this company based in Barking?

Thanks for the input.

If people are interested in a "Seriously high quality" down pipe/ sports cat etc let me know and I can get the factory to run a batch off?

Interested, cost depending!
Looking for a full system sometime this year.
If you produced a batch i'm sure you'd have plenty of interest, again obviously dependent on price.

Ok well I'll get the factory to put some quotes together and post them up. I would not be looking to make any money from my fellow audi drivers so the larger batch we make the better the price will be. Does anyone have an OE system knocking around that I could show to the guys so they can see what is involved.

If you are interested in this let me know soon as once I have done mine I doubt I will have the time to orgainse this. You can also PM me for info about my company to help assure you that we manufacture HIGH quality stuff.

Also to the moderators I will email you now as I don't want to get into trouble for trading on your site (although like I said I would be doing this as more of a favour than a profit making exercise)

Thanks

Have a look at the pipewerx/blueflame set ups on ebay to see what the best set up is.

Yep just seen them on ebay, looks like the best layout to use so the ones we produce will be of the same design "but better". I have just discussed this with a forum mod and he is happy for me to post prices up once I have them.

On the cat front I'm thinking we will use the same 200cell items we use for some of the supercars which have been run on cars with over 900bhp so you can be assured they are up to the job. We generally steer clear of 100 cell cats as they do not affect the air flow enough and often throw engine check lights. Is everyone agreed that 200cell cats would be the best option or would people be looking for a 100cell cat?

Thanks

200 cell is a good compromise between being legal/ not throwing a CEL and flow, and tbh if you are flowing 900 BHP through them then the S3 will be fine,lol

Yep just seen them on ebay, looks like the best layout to use so the ones we produce will be of the same design "but better". I have just discussed this with a forum mod and he is happy for me to post prices up once I have them.

On the cat front I'm thinking we will use the same 200cell items we use for some of the supercars which have been run on cars with over 900bhp so you can be assured they are up to the job. We generally steer clear of 100 cell cats as they do not affect the air flow enough and often throw engine check lights. Is everyone agreed that 200cell cats would be the best option or would people be looking for a 100cell cat?

Thanks

200 cell cat and 900bhp?
eh?

how many of them?

Ok everyone I have rough prices for the DP + cat now, I hope to get these down a bit more but as a guide we would be looking at £450 including vat and delivery for the down pipe and sports cat.

That price is based on being able to get an order for at least 5 sets.

Time scale is slightly un known at the moment as I don't know how long it will take to get buyers together but once I have 5 confirmed orders I will take my car to the factory and have it jigged up, from then we would be looking at around 3 weeks untill delivery.

I don't want to shout about the company I run as I'm not doing this for gain but if you need any assurance that we make HIGH quality parts please PM me and I will give you some details on the company.

Thanks,

Ben

I will leave this here for a few hours as requested. It will then make its way to the group buy section where anyone interested should PM Ben direct.

Many thanks

Ok I'm going to do some research into rods and maybe put them on my wish list.

so many options now.
Scat, Brute, IE all come in under $400 if you buy them from the US.