Need A New Light Switch!

S

Scraggy87

Hi guys and girls! Just wondering if anyone knows where i could buy a light switch as mine seems to turn my headlights and fog lights on at the same time! Also are they easy to fit as i don't want to get it fitted at Audi as it will cost a bomb!!! Cheers!

If you do a search this is a common problem. If you take the switch out (which you do by pushing the switch into the dash, twisting it (can't remember which way), then pulling the whole unit out. Disconnect the wires, make sure the switch is all tightly pushed together and there is nothing (like broken bits of plastic) in the mechanism. Then reconnect everything and put the switch back in the dash.

Mine did this because a bit of plastic had got stuck in the mechansim, so when I twisted the switch to turn the side or headlights on, it also pulled out very slightly turning the fogs on at the same time.

Good luck.

Well i went out to my car and tried to remove the switch... I tried pushing the light into the dash to remove it and it just won't budge! It feels like it's gonna break if i push it any further in! My fogs seemed to go off when i'm driving when the car has warmed up! But now when my car is warm they don't go off atall as i think ive moved something in the switch! Need help as my M.O.T is coming up! eeekkkk!

You have to remove the lower part of the dash to remove/refit the light switch.

<tuffty/>

Have you had to do this before then mate? Cos ive been told by quite a few people u simply need to twist the light switch and it should come out! Where do u even start with removing the lower dash?

Right just tried removing the swtich for the 4th time and it just wont budge! Gonna have to go to Audi's i think!

You have to remove the lower part of the dash to remove/refit the light switch.

<tuffty/>

No you don't, you can remove the unit from the dash.

Just consulted Haynes, and I quote:

"With the light in position 0, press the switch inwards and turn it slightly to the right. Hold this position and pull the complete switch assembly from the dash."

Yup ive tried that aswell! Doesn't wanna budge! Feels like ive either busted the spring inside just by twisting it to much or its just messed up! Gonna get it done by Audi when i go as i don't trust myself and i don't wanna damage the dash so i will leave it to the pros! Thanks for all your help though!

No you don't, you can remove the unit from the dash.

Just consulted Haynes, and I quote:

"With the light in position 0, press the switch inwards and turn it slightly to the right. Hold this position and pull the complete switch assembly from the dash."

I've had this happen to mine a while back.

When the small plastic clip is stuck (and bringing on the fogs as a result) the normal release mechanism doesn't work properly so I couldn't unclip it with the lower part of the dash in place.

I ended up removing the lower part of the dash, disconnecting both the light switch and vcds port and "wiggling" it free.

Happened to me recently. Didnt have to take the dash out, pushed the light switch in and turned it to the left and it pulled out. The box behind the switch had pulled itself apart, pushed it back together and it worked as normal again.