Not so good test drive.

OllieH

Reaction score
Test drove this car yesterday: http://pistonheads.com/sales/1314463.htm

When I had a look at the oil filler cap it was covered in emulsified oil which says to me head gasket failure. Have been reading a few posts on here however that suggest condensation can build up in the cylinder head if constantly doing short journeys?? The emulsification was also on the dipstick aswell so water must also be in the sump!! This rang alarm bells for me. Is this common on the S3 or am I right to think something's wrong?

Unexpectantly for the milage and age, the car was actually abit of a dog. Tatty interior, scuffs and scrapes across the front bumper and the underside was very rusty. Tried launching the car at 4k revs with esp on to test the haldex and revs climbed to 6k+ very quickly without actually really going anywhere, combined with a strong smell of burning clutch!

for that money I would expect a very good example on a 2003 plate. walk away and find a better one.

11k? holy moly!!
could get something much much much better for that kinda dough imo

as chancer says i would want it to be immaculate in and out

Never had any intention of buying, just wanted a test drive to get an idea of what they are like. I'm hoping the next one I drive will give a better impression.

People like you should be burnt at the stake.

?? Please elaborate...:think:

I don't see what's wrong with getting a test drive on a dealership car. I could understand your comment if it were a private sale. I sold my last car back in August and had people trying similar, which was annoying as I had to take time out each time someone wanted to look at it. Dealerships however are quite happy to let you take the car out. I explained to the guy that I would be looking at a few S3's before making any decision and he was more than happy. I believe this is the best way of buying a car, trying a few dealership ones first so you see the differences between the good and bad ones, then if you do decide to look at a private sale, you can then make a decision there and then without messing them around.

Just my 2P, others may think different.

Last edited:
Ollie, if your in the market then I would do the same......

As you already know this 03 plate seems over priced, first impression - I wouldnt be that bothered about emulsified oil on the oil cap as these cars are renowned for condensation when stood, this could obviously effect the sump oil depending on how long it has been stood......although id seek further advice on this as unsure how much water would be needed to turn it creamy....I had the same dilemma when i bought mine and made sure i had a warranty on it that would actually cover this part for 12 months for peace of mind (read the T+C's tho !!)

the rest does sound a bit ominous though..... and i doubt you'll drop him anywhere near what it is worth were it a sound car, keep looking ;)

Ok cheers, I will keep the emulsified oil fact in mind on future viewings.:icon_thumright:

I noticed the write-up is less than accurate as well. I see no wood trim (thankfully) and I didn't thnik the 8L ever had dual-zone climate!?