AH FabricationsChris Nott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S3 MPG and buying help

Neutral

Status
    Has anyone tested fuel octanes vs. mpg in a scientific sort of way WITH THE 1.8Ts specifically over different lifespan of the car in the stock config? I just averaged 28 mpg using 87 octane with total highway driving at 70 mph avg. I have my doubts 91 octane would improve on that but am going to try. That's with tires at 32 psi cold and brand new air filter and OAT of 30 degrees F.
    Lucky

98 red AUDI A3 Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Up until lately i was averaging 31mpg but recently im around the 28mpg mile, thats since using v-power, ive started changing gears a few 100 rpm higher up now and its made a difference to mpg, cant believe it.

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nickaliath View Post
    150-160 on 20 is good thats what i get roughly from my 330d bmw about 160 in that.

Yeah i go on 205 gti drivers, i am the original nickaliath
    I thought I recognised the username! If you're anywhere near the northwest and want a run in a mapped S3 let me know, i'll trade you for a run out in your 205

Back on topic, my mpg has noticeably improved since I had it mapped to run VPower, the fuel costs more but it evens itself out. I also don't drive the car hard very often and when i'm on the motoryway i generally use cruise control which helps get optimum mpg. Despite all this, if economy is high on your list of priorities I'd avoid a fat, turbo charged, 4wd petrol engined S3!
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Junky View Post
    It's worth noting that the DIS lies, if you measure your economy using a brim to brim method it always works out slightly less than whats displayed in the car. I do mainly town driving and generally see about 150 - 160 miles off 20 of VPower, and thats mapped. The most I have achieved off a full tank is about 450 miles, the majority being motorway miles.

P.s. Do you go on 205gtidrivers.com? The username seems familiar and I notice you have Pug...

i do about 75% motorway miles in my leon fr tdi and get 500miles to the tank. if i could get your figure in an s3 on my drive home, i would be happy.

Alex

Status
    I filled my tank up a while ago and drove as carefully as possible and tried not to be tempted to put my foot down at all (but failed once ) to see what mpg I could get. Got about 400miles which works out to be 33mpg which I thought was pretty good especially when I didn't do any motorway driving.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

Alex

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Junky View Post
    I also don't drive the car hard very often and when i'm on the motoryway i generally use cruise control which helps get optimum mpg.
    Cruise control actually uses more fuel than if you used your right foot as no matter what incline you're on it keeps you at your set speed. Where as doing it yourself you can judge where the inclines are and adjust your foot accordingly, i.e. gain momentum down hill to roll up the oncoming hill or just keep your foot resting on the throttle and don't move it if you're going up a hill even if you slow down a bit then lift off when going down.
    Next time you use your cruise control you should watch your constant mpg thing on the lcd computer to see how far it goes down compared to using light throttle with your foot.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon S3 View Post
    Next time you use your cruise control you should watch your constant mpg thing on the lcd computer to see how far it goes down compared to using light throttle with your foot.
    I do, and cruise control seems to get better mpg, hence why I use it? Oh, and also because i'm lazy

The whole 'rolling down the hill and creeping up the other side' thing is just a bit anal in my opinion, if I was that bothered about mpg i'd buy a diesel.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Missing the S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nickaliath View Post
    The 330d touring 0-60 7.9 sec the s3 is more like 0-60 6.4sec??
    The S3 might be quicker of the line but at speed they will be similar due to the high torque produced by the bmw. Parkers show it as 7.6 or 7.4 which aint that slow either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12