Bose, any good?

I

imported_MarkC

Hi folks this is my first post so be kind, I’m looking for an S3 and have found the one I like except it does not have the Bose upgrade, I have a Bose system at home which sounds good, a friend of mine has a RS6 which has the Bose system but I notice that lots of you don’t rate it that much in the S3 so would spending £200 on speaker upgrades bring the original HU up to Bose standard or better

Cheers Mark

Everybody seems to think it's rubbish on here, but my dad has it in his allroad and its quite impressive!

it depends upon your expectations. Certainly don't rule out a car because it doesn't have it.

On a standard system, just upgrading the front speakers and adding a sub will give results better than the stock Bose (which by the way, if you do want to upgrade is more costly as you have to upgrade all speakers as the impedance is differant).

get a andymac special, i just had my sub upgraded with his and its the mutz nutz. I read a lot of things about his stealth sub but after actually hearing it and now enjoying the bass its phenomenal. Far superior than the non bose sub i had and im sure it will be much better than the bose too

Not being an audiophile, I find the BOSE setup excellent.

Dunc

im not an expert either, but i think as long you dont blast it on really high volume, it sounds good.

i think if you do have it, it helps to resell the car in future.

ive bose in my S3 and the clarity is good but i find the bass poor. Just come from a crx with a custom install so thats probally the reason. Just needs a little more bass

I've had my S3 about a month now and I've been well impressed with the Bose system so far. Enough for my needs and gives a decent amount of bass from the sub.

I found the Bose, very clear but the bass was a little lacking.

I have since fitted a Alpine V12 and a Rockford Sub+box to the system and would say the sound is now excellent! Windows & roof down/open 80mph and can still be head easily.

Splicing into the wiring loom was a little tricky but the standard Concert has pre-outs (not RCA type) to run the Bose Amp (right hand side of boot) that can be used to run an amp. Just need to remember that the system uses a common earth set up! Took me ages to work out why I couldn't get it to work!

Again, its all down to what YOU would class as 'good sound'.

Lastly, if its the car you want, at the right price, I wouldn't let it stop you from buying it. It is only a stereo after all.

Cheers,

Stevie

[ QUOTE ]
fingermouse said:
ive bose in my S3 and the clarity is good but i find the bass poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you - and others complaining of lacking bass - tried playing with the hidder equaliser settings?

I don't have the procedure to hand...but after I played with mine, it's vastly improved.

I don't find the bass lacking, I cranked up the bass and midrange, adjusted the tweeters and then set the fader mostly to the front.
This gives a much staging, better depth, clearer mids and highs from the front and a much clearer and louder bass.
I'd certainly not complain about a lack of volume or bass...except where you have the sunroof wide open - where the BOSE sub will run out of air-pressure loading and pop and bang a bit as it tops out!

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm collecting the car next weekend, it's a silver 02 225 with 18k miles 18' wheels and the Bose system, that they told me it did not have! paid £17200 for it from a non Audi dealer which I think is a good price. Now my last question, (for now) it has the single cd Audi hu, can you fit a multi play changer and is the wiring loom in place.

thanks

Mark

I have an S3 with BOSE and, contrary to most of the posts I have read here, I find the bass is too much! Well, to be more clear, the mid and teble are too low relative to it. I have set +1 mid and +2 treble and find it is a much better balance. The bass is pretty good, although at speed it's much harder to hear. I am sure that a decent after market system would probably be much better but for the hassle I don't think it's worth changing.