Flat bottom steering wheel?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Following from the 8P gearknob thread, is it possible to fit a flat bottom steering wheel from an 8P, or even an RS4/6 one onto our 8L's? Obviously, the multi function buttons would be useless, but I was just curious. :)

Id love todo this but have you seen how much they cost?

Should be able to p*ss the wheel, itll be the air bag that will be the pain id imagine.

Aha, I wonder if it's a straight fit? I don't have RNSE, but I'd like the steering wheel if it was an easy swop.

The airbag will never work though even if its all wired up, thats what puts me off.

New airbags are 2-stage and the 8L cars only fire the first charge of the airbag detonators, so the bag does not deploy

J

theres no reason for it not to deploy if its wired correctly, just needs wireing to the high stage

hmmmmm curiousity killed the cat.... and may kill my wallet too, this wheel looks awesome :)

Re-wiring it wont make the airbag deploy. The airbag system for a single stage is compeletly different to a dual stage The airbag controller needs to see both circuits before one or the other will deploy.

In the event of an accident (hope it never happens) your airbag will not deploy, the Insurance company will not pay out, and the Police will prosicute you for not having insurance.

I really do hope you do not attempt this mod, for your sake.

theres no reason for it not to deploy if its wired correctly, just needs wireing to the high stage

I really do hope you do not attempt this mod, for your sake.

its too late !!! already in.

DSC03142.jpg

why would your insurance be invalid in the result of a claim? surely people fit aftermarket wheels with no air bag...what do they do

plus i dont recall seeing a steering wheel air bag being mandatory in any insurance T+C's

If you modify your car and fail to notify the insurance company, so in the event of an accident your airbag fails to deploy, they will investigate why. And it would involve a day in court (once the surgeon has re-constructed your face)

why would your insurance be invalid in the result of a claim? surely people fit aftermarket wheels with no air bag...what do they do

plus i dont recall seeing a steering wheel air bag being mandatory in any insurance T+C's

assuming you haven't worn your seat belt yeah? pretty sure you'd have to be a giraffe to hit the wheel otherwise

I agree it would be best to notify the insurance, but in complete fairness I don't think it would make much difference in the event of a claim to be fair..... its the age old debate, they would have to prove you knew the modification had been carried out and with it being an OEM wheel - it isnt an MOT requirement so theres no simple way of discovering and what of these old Rovers/Protons (and similar) that most likely have their air bag lights on, are they not insured either?

yes i agree that we shouldnt be taking away measures like the airbag, but then if your prepared to sacrifice in the name of design.... thats our choice

erm that was meant to say 'your' choice.....regardless my point is valid

my signature doesn't say anything about any of my above posts... infact i'm struggling to see what your point is other than a moral battle of what people 'should' conform to......

My posts merely point out and illustrate why your posts were infact wrong and how the obligation lies with the individual as opposed to being forced by the insurance to conform to a set standard of having an airbag

JUST because you don't agree doesn't make it wrong.... you'll do well in life to remember that