JMB RetrofitsChris Nott

Thread: Tip blown off

5th Gear

Status

Tip blown off

hey guys, hope you all had a good xmas

was driving home from visiting my nan just now, coming off an island just by my house put my foot in a little heard a loud pop lost all power rough/weak idle etc etc

anyway nursed it home and my tip has blown off the hardpipe end, was just wondering if there any reason/cause for this or is it just a case of after a while it can work its way loose?

i got to be honest, the pipe is not a brilliant fit, bit of a bodge in all fairness, so a new one is on my list of things to buy

if someone could put my mind at ease and say that its just a natural thing rather than something more sinister, that would be great

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    What's the hardpipe end?
    S3, 4 wheels, magical B8's, Eibach, Pipewerx equipped, glass windows, metal engine, silver paint.

5th Gear

Status
    Sounds like it was just loose and has worked its way off. There is alot of pressure in there.

A good excuse to get an uprated silicon one though for about 100. Should give slightly more reliable boost as the std one collapses under high boost especially when mapped
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunit View Post
    What's the hardpipe end?
    i.e the opposite end to the turbo end of the tip, the metal pipe that leads to my fmic, im unsure of its proper name so i call it the hard pipe lol

Quote Originally Posted by ianysm View Post
    Sounds like it was just loose and has worked its way off. There is alot of pressure in there.

A good excuse to get an uprated silicon one though for about 100. Should give slightly more reliable boost as the std one collapses under high boost especially when mapped
    yer thats what im hoping mate, just wanted someone to put my mind at ease

as i said my tip is a bit of a mess, il put a pic up tomorrow and people can see what i mean, but yes defo a good excuse to buy a new one, just need the funds

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    it's not yourTIP that's blown off from the sounds of it, TIP is the turbo intake pipe, and this is only ever under vacuum not boost.

Sounds like it's the outlet pipe from your turbo to the chargepipe (hardpipe to some) that's come off.

Under boost applications it's fairly common for boost pipes to pop off if not clamped up tight enough, more of a problem on remapped high boost cars, but it can happen to any.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    it's not yourTIP that's blown off from the sounds of it, TIP is the turbo intake pipe, and this is only ever under vacuum not boost.

Sounds like it's the outlet pipe from your turbo to the chargepipe (hardpipe to some) that's come off.

Under boost applications it's fairly common for boost pipes to pop off if not clamped up tight enough, more of a problem on remapped high boost cars, but it can happen to any.
    yes mate, i just come on here to say i got it wrong

was looking at it just now thinking 'hmmm that doesnt look like a tip, that one there looks like a tip' lol D'OH!!!

anyway reattached it and all is good, but as i said in my original post the outlet pipe is made up off two different silicone hoses, sleeved and clamped together, im guessing no one elses is like this and defo not ideal?

Status
    i think the original turbo outlet on an S3 motor should consist of a single 90 degree eblow, although I think it's size changes from 51-60mm on the bend, although I could be wrong about that.

Best bet would be to measure up the sizes of both pipes, and order up a 90 degree reducer/coupler
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th Gear

Status
    my turbo is a vf (scooby turbs) so would that make a difference, i.e would the o/d of the actual outlet on the turbo be a different size thus meaning i need a different size pipe?

prehaps this is why i have two elbows joined, because the people who done it originally couldnt find a hose to retro fit?

Status
    aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

This is entirely possible I'd say!

Best thing to do, is look at what you need, and measure the sizes.

If it's a 90 degree 50-60mm reducer you need (for example), get over to www.siliconhoses.com and see if they have what you're after

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    My turbo out hose was a ****ty fit as well mate to be fair. I put a bit of smaller hose which was a snug fit around the turbo hard pipe, and then slotted the pipe over for a nice snug (bodge) fit....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

5th Gear

Status
    well im going to do the n249 bypass tomorrow weather permitting so will have a look at the outlet then, is it easier seen from underneath or are there splash gaurds/other engine components blocking the view? its not very easy to see from above as im sure you are both aware

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    well im going to do the n249 bypass tomorrow weather permitting so will have a look at the outlet then, is it easier seen from underneath or are there splash gaurds/other engine components blocking the view? its not very easy to see from above as im sure you are both aware
    Saw your pics from this, looks good! Nice job.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Saw your pics from this, looks good! Nice job.

yet to take it for a drive to see if i can notice any difference, but tbh im happy with the fact it looks neater under there now, so win win