Perished hose connecting to inlet manifold

barters3

Reaction score
i have noticed that there is a perished hose which connects on to the left hand side of the inlet manifold. it also looks like it has an inline filter of some kind and it runs underneath the inlet manifold.
i need to drive from devon to gatwick airport on monday so i wont be able to get a replacement hose in time.
what is the hose's purpose and does it hold much presure?
Would it be ok to carry out a tempory repair using insulation tape and cable ties?

I would get some electrical tape & cover with this 1st, then get some duck/carpet tape which is fairly strong over the 1st layer, should be ok then, pic would be cool

i will take some pictures tommorow and put them up.
I have done some research and found out that it is a pcv hose (positive crank case vent i think) so presumably they are under no great possitive or negetive presure.
I just need to confirm whether tape will be a sufficient tempory fix.

if its one of the hoses that comes up into the bottom of the inlet then the answer is yes..... this caused slight boost issues for me so you will otice it wont hold quite as well and you may experience some judder....mine had been gone a while and it exerts pressure as oppose to sucking in...so i think you'd be ok

pipedone1.jpg

i have done some searching and found someone elses picture, it highlights the same area which mine is split.
So just to confirm. if i tape it up well and possibly cable tie it. i should be ok temporarilly. i will try and keep off boost whilst driving as i imagine this would help.

Here is a picture of the pipes that have split. as below picture, they are situated behind the inlet manifold.
006-1.jpg

Damn crappy place to split, might get away with some duck tape as in the fabric carpet type mate, but need removing 1st of course, electrical tape may come loose tbh, but cable ties my suffice until dealer open I guess.

ok ill give a bit of tape a try, thanks for your help

Is there enough slack to cut it and rejoin?

Is the car running ok?

Car seems to idol fine although I haven't driven it since I noticed the splits. As far as I can tell, the hose is only split where the plastic conectors are so are not actually leaking... Yet!
Il do a temporary repair tommorow and see how it goes.

The exact same pipe perished on my car, it will run a little rough but not really noticeable when driving, the only annoying problem you'll have is when you come to a junction to idle it will stall or hunt, can also be jerky in slow steady moving traffic. It's not under any real pressure, I found some pipe from an old engine I had and bodged it on. As it wasn't the exact same shape or very good quality pipe it perished again, replaced again then finally forked out £25 for a new one from audi. It's a pretty fiddly job, you have to remove a couple parts to get to it.

I didnt fancy removing the hoses to carry out the temp repair. So all i could do was cable tie over the splits too prevent it splitting further. I tested on a 40 mile round trip, its no worse and it runs fine. Ive got to drive to gatwick tonight from devon. Just going to take it easy and off boost as much as possible. Do you have to remove the inlet manifold to install the new hoses?

well when you get the part from Audi make sure you buy the jubillees (assuming its the thicker bend that goes into the inlet) and also id buy an oil dipstick tube, thats how i broke mine trying to get to that part ;) plus they only cost just over £1 so worth having a spare if you manage to get it off without breaking

Do you have to remove the inlet manifold to install the new hoses?

No, you only really have to remove the plastic cover and metal plate thats bolted to the front of the inlet manifold. It does however make it a lot easier if you remove the throttle body as well.

and also id buy an oil dipstick tube

Damn it! I knew I needed something else from audi.