Tracking issues?

jonny87

Reaction score
well after two weeks in the bodyshop i finally got my s3 back, awesome job by the bodyshop, so a big shout out to kustom 101 in teweksbury and geoff smith whos in charge

anyway got it home and took it to get my new rims fitted and balanced then tracking reset after smashing the kerb, driving it home and it still pulls to the left, and at low speed the steering wheel wobbles gently from side to side and at high speed (80-90) that turns into a very bad vibration

also when i was looking at my rear tyres that came off the car, the one (passenger side) has been scrubbing out on the inside edge, would this explain why the tracking is still out if they have set the fronts to the rear?

regarding the vibration my mate suggested swapping the front wheels with the rears to see what difference if any that would make, but should i look for something i may have bent when hitting the kerb, not sure what, a tie rod bar, lower suspension arm??

thanks in advance you lovely lot!!

Its likely that your old rears were once on the front, now that you've got all your new wheels and tyres i'd get them balanced again and get the 4 wheel alignment done

Its likely that your old rears were once on the front, now that you've got all your new wheels and tyres i'd get them balanced again and get the 4 wheel alignment done

I agree with sandip

the rears couldnt of been on the front as they are wider and would rub on the arches, so they were always on the back

as said when the tyres were fitted onto my new rims they were balanced before being fitted to the car, and i had the tracking done straight after the new wheels being fitted

How big were your old wheels? New tyre do sometimes need re-balancing once they've bedded in, i still recommend 4 wheel alignment

old wheels were 235 35 19 front 265 30 19 rear
new wheels are 235 35 19 all round

a mate suggested swapping fronts with backs as the one tyre which is on the front is the one which took the impact of the kerb a few weeks back and said that could affect it

il try and find somehwere round by me that does a 4 wheel alignment, cant think of anywhere off the top of my head

265's would explain the uneven wear, thats a little too wide, i run 235 35 19 on 9j bbs's, lowered on kw springs and standard tie bars and the wear is even both front and rear.
Best thing is re-balance and alignment then see how it goes from there:thumbsup:

yer, its gonna stay like it for now though what with xmas etc
just strange how only the one tyre off the back worn unevenly and the other was ok, still il get the wheel alignment done and a balance and like you said go from there

il let you know how i get on :thumbsup: