AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Concert cd player volume help

hello my cd player concert cd head unit with tape has a problem with the volume cant turn it down and it has a mind of its own as soon as u touch the volume switch can this be repaired any1 had 1 fixed and got a cost for the job or is it cheeper to replace the unit thanx mark

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Do a search, been posted a million times!
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

ZoomZoom

Status
    Had the same problems with mine and think many others on here have had it to. I just got rid of mine and put a Alpine in which with the Ipod connection im finding alot better, i did love the tape feature but the last tape i had was when i was about 10
    My Much Missed :Imola Yellow S3 - Revo stage 2, SPS3, RS6 reps, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Cupra R splitter, Brembo's, 323mm EBC Turbo Grooved Discs, Ferrodo DS2500 Pads, Forge DV, Forge FMIC, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, Sachs Clutch, Green Cotton Dynatwist induction kit, 3" Downpipe, sports cat, Milltek cat back, Bilstein B8's, KW rear adjustable tie bars Whiteline Adjustable ARB's, Eibach Springs, Powerflex Bushes, Bose Concert System

Now : Cupra R 225

1st Gear

Status
    do u need a wireing adapter or does it just plug straight in to the iso plug on the after market cd player ? as i will change it its doing my head and ears in lol

3rd Gear

Status
    You can get a new Concert HU from Stoke Audi for about 80. They normally have some for sale on their ebay shop. Don't buy a used one as they all develop this problem.
    Stupid design as every volume adjustment is saved to the Eeprom chip which eventually gets full, & then the volume control goes crazy.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, K&N panel, Dunlop SP Sport Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

1st Gear

Status
    ok thankyou all for your info cheers

Alex

Status
    I also have this extremely annoying problem, only when it's cold though lol. It's either full volume or whispering, or if you turn it off then on again you get kinda loud lol. Works perfectly when the temperature is warm unlike my lcd display between my dials, can read it fine when cold but when warm you can barely make out anything.
    1999 APY S3 Imola Yellow

PS3: Broady_11

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemon S3 View Post
    I also have this extremely annoying problem, only when it's cold though lol. It's either full volume or whispering, or if you turn it off then on again you get kinda loud lol. Works perfectly when the temperature is warm unlike my lcd display between my dials, can read it fine when cold but when warm you can barely make out anything.

Same as my head unit, fine in the summer but a pain in the ass in the winter
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Neutral

Status
    mine takes an hour to warm up before i can control the volume

Status
    All of them will just get worse until they stop working properly at all, so you can't just put up with it as in time they will be unusable.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

3rd Gear

Status
    I had the same problem with my Concert I. I replaced it with a Concert II.

Concert I is the unit with the tape. Concert II doesn't have a tape, it has a front loading CD player instead.

I've read you can get the volume problem fixed. But when I looked into it I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort or money. Plus I wanted to replace my tape deck with a CD.

If you go for something other than a Concert you'll have problems finding one that fits in exactly (without a space either side) and looks good. If you put in a different stereo and have a space either side, you'll need to put two plastic bits either side - looks really cheap in my opinion. Plus a lot of other head units just look totally outta place and cheap.

If you look at adverts of S3's for sale, you'll see plenty of pics of aftermarket stereos.

I decided to go for the Concert II as you're guaranteed it will fit in precisely and that it won't look out of place

Here's some info that may be of help:

Concert 2 in 1999 S3?

Concert II for S3, for sale?
    Last edited by metricspaces; 29th December 2009 at 19:03.