Concert cd player volume help

madmark

Reaction score
hello my cd player concert cd head unit with tape has a problem with the volume cant turn it down and it has a mind of its own as soon as u touch the volume switch can this be repaired any1 had 1 fixed and got a cost for the job or is it cheeper to replace the unit thanx mark

Had the same problems with mine and think many others on here have had it to. I just got rid of mine and put a Alpine in which with the Ipod connection im finding alot better, i did love the tape feature but the last tape i had was when i was about 10

do u need a wireing adapter or does it just plug straight in to the iso plug on the after market cd player ? as i will change it its doing my head and ears in lol

You can get a new Concert HU from Stoke Audi for about £80. They normally have some for sale on their ebay shop. Don't buy a used one as they all develop this problem.
Stupid design as every volume adjustment is saved to the Eeprom chip which eventually gets full, & then the volume control goes crazy.

I also have this extremely annoying problem, only when it's cold though lol. It's either full volume or whispering, or if you turn it off then on again you get kinda loud lol. Works perfectly when the temperature is warm unlike my lcd display between my dials, can read it fine when cold but when warm you can barely make out anything.

I also have this extremely annoying problem, only when it's cold though lol. It's either full volume or whispering, or if you turn it off then on again you get kinda loud lol. Works perfectly when the temperature is warm unlike my lcd display between my dials, can read it fine when cold but when warm you can barely make out anything.

Same as my head unit, fine in the summer but a pain in the *** in the winter :)

mine takes an hour to warm up before i can control the volume

All of them will just get worse until they stop working properly at all, so you can't just put up with it as in time they will be unusable.

I had the same problem with my Concert I. I replaced it with a Concert II.

Concert I is the unit with the tape. Concert II doesn't have a tape, it has a front loading CD player instead.

I've read you can get the volume problem fixed. But when I looked into it I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort or money. Plus I wanted to replace my tape deck with a CD.

If you go for something other than a Concert you'll have problems finding one that fits in exactly (without a space either side) and looks good. If you put in a different stereo and have a space either side, you'll need to put two plastic bits either side - looks really cheap in my opinion. Plus a lot of other head units just look totally outta place and cheap.

If you look at adverts of S3's for sale, you'll see plenty of pics of aftermarket stereos.

I decided to go for the Concert II as you're guaranteed it will fit in precisely and that it won't look out of place :)

Here's some info that may be of help:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=63066

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=64603

Last edited: