Part Identification Please :-)

Nyteryda

Nyteryda
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

could someone tell me what the pipe/hose is that goes around the front of the left hand turbo hose that goes down to the intercooler, it seems to have a split in it and am wondering if that would cause my running rich problem. From having a quick look earlier it seems to go into where the injectors are or there-abouts (not a mechanic !!)

many thanks

What car exactly do you have?
It may be easier to take a picture and post it up here

hello, its a 2001 s3 with an AMK.. Unfortunately I cant get a pic on here for some reason but if you could possibly go to google you can find one very easily.. its the smallish hose on the left of the pic in-between the washer bottle and the inlet manifold. It curves around the front of the intercooler hose that comes down from the metal charge pipe, thinking it may be fuel related...

Many thanks

Ok, how big is the hose (width)... small, like a vac hose? Or big like a water hose?

Sounds like it could be the greather that comes off the top of the throttle body assembly.... Does it have a black and grey one way valve in it?

I guess the hose is around finger width, it is on the opposite side to the one you suggested, I am looking at a pic of a 1.8t amk engine now and I can see what you are talking about, as in the one that comes off the top of the throttle body.. This one seems to emerge from under the right hand side of the inlet manifold, goes round the intercooler pipe and then runs alongside the metal charge pipe and down the back of the engine.. If you look at a pic it is very obvious, many thanks

edit.. seems to emerge from under the **left** hand side of inlet manifold (from front on)

can anyone tell me if it is a vacuum line running out of the left hand side of the inlet manifold ? if it is, what symptoms would occur from this having a split in it ? thanks

Presumably then you mean this hose:

s3engine.jpg

You could and should really of done this yourself (posting a picture - you're lucky I could be bothered). Next time sort your own photos out!

Anyway, I can't remember where this hose off hand goes to, but it is a boost/vac hose.

If its split then the following symptoms are common. Poor idle due to loss of vacuum pressure. Under boost, you will be losing boost pressure (and air obviously) out of the split in this hose. The air in the system has already been metered by the AFM on the way in, so losing air post AFM will mean that the ECU is applying fuel for an incorrect volume of air in the chambers.

So yes, in short, is the answer to your question. A likely culprit for fuelling issues.

I appreciate your time, I tried to add a pic but couldnt understand the uploading procedure.. Hopefully when this pipe is fixed my car will be running perfectly ( for now lol )
I see you have two fixings on the left hand boost hose, might pinch that idea as mine wont stay on perfectly and I have to keep readjusting it